Springtail pool party?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Rits

Springtail pool party?

Post by Rits » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:37 am

As I was doing daily maintenance I noticed the springtails were having a grand old party in the saltwater pool! At least, I hope they are springtails... (I used some magnolia leaves from my frog bioactive tank and put it in my hermie tank a few weeks ago) Are they trying to tell me something? Lol. This is crazy, there are soooo many just swimming and springing around like fleas. Possibly some dead? Yikes.

So should I be worried that they take over the pool? My Hermies are fairly new and shy so they dont really care to go in the pools everyday and everything is correct temp, humidity etc. I feel bad tossing these buggers down the drain lol. Hopefully this is normal springtail behavior and not some imposter springtail that is actually harmful to my hermies. Let me know what you guys think is going on.

I cant seem to figure out how to attach photos. Just imagine a hundred little white bugs springing about in a saltwater bowl. :^p

Topic author
Rits

Re: Springtail pool party?

Post by Rits » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 am

Was able to figure out the photo thing

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Springtail pool party?

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:26 am

Definitely springtails, and they can live on water. I have an enormous colony in my aquatic turtle tanks, they breed on the glass and platform and bounce around the water surface!

Generally they don't handle saltwater very well, which is why you are probably seeing dead ones floating around.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram