Gill Damage

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author

Gill Damage

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:02 pm

How might one find out if a crab has gill damage? Also, if they do, will it heal or will the crab have to live with the damage for the rest of their lives???

BAB

Post by BAB » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Hmmm...

I suppose one could check by watching the crabbie (do not pull it from it's shell to look) and when it comes out really far to reach something you can see the gills on the sides. It's hard though cuz the crabbies are small and the gills are too... so one of those HUGE magnifying glasses on a stand (the light may not be good for them? dunno) would be handy for this process. I've read on here that the gills will have blisters if they are damaged.

I'm under the impression that long term gill damage is not reversible? I'm not positive of that... Gill damage is something I've not researched yet and I'm not positive of all the details. I'm guessing that when they molt, since they regrow legs, they can fix the gills too though?!

Golly I hope someone comes along with more information here.
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:39 pm

there's some thought that 'melafix' might help situations like these. It seemed to help with one of osippi's hermit crabs!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:54 pm

Kuulio, thanks for the help

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:09 pm

Just be very cautious using it. It's exstremely strong and should only be used as a last resort, since we don't know for sure if it is more hurtful than helpful. I have heard of one sucessful case of using it, and more cases where a crab died after using it, but then agian the crab may have been past the point of help.

We simply don't know yet.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:51 pm

well, besides what the gills look like, is there any type of specific behavior that damaged crabs might show? You see, I have one crabbie that is missing a pair of legs and is very very shy/scared...so I don't think she will cooperate enought to look at her gills.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Lethargy, because they can't breath, and dropping limbs is often a sign of stress of some sort.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:31 pm

ok, thanks

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:43 pm

layne_d wrote:there's some thought that 'melafix' might help situations like these. It seemed to help with one of osippi's hermit crabs!
where do you get that? :)
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
2 PP's~2 Violas~1 Blueberry~2 Indos~1 Ruggie
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:04 am

I actually had a crab (Jupiter in my Avatar) who after a molt failed to regrow the exo over his gills on his right side. They were open and exposed, and even though this might not be the trouble you are speaking of, I feel it is relevant in that he still remained very active, with very obvious gill damage.
Below are two pictures where the damage is obvious, for those who haven't seen them/are interested. If you have any more questions for me about it, you can PM me or something. I think just saying "gill damage" is a little vague for this situation. I believe if Jupiter had survived this last fatal molt, he would have regrown his exo over his gills and been fine. He lived for months with his ailment.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Great pictures, sorry for your loss though. This goes to show, though, what most people think to be a crabs gills, is actually just a layer of protective exoskeleton. Those pictures should definitely be archived!