Any idea what's going on?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author

Any idea what's going on?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:57 am

I have no idea what is happening to one of my crabs. Brownie was perfectly fine, then about 1-2 weeks ago he looked very lethargic so I moved him to isolation from my other 2 crabbies. His eyes are down, his coloring is light... I thought he was trying to moult, he was twisting etc, but he never molted. He looks to have only his two claws left and this other legs have fallen off, but maybe no replacement because the rest didn't come off?? Just a guess, no idea if that even makes sense or not. He is still alive but not sure he will make it. Any idea what happened? Conditions are fine in the crabitat, about 85 degrees and 70% humidity, my 2 other crabs are doing just fine. He is an E and he has salt water and all that. Right now he can't really get around so I've been putting food right in front of him and giving him water.

He usually LOVES to dig, and was always buried but right now he isn't. The crabitat has sand ('damp' from the humidity). I wonder if maybe my daughter took him out from being buried to visit him (remember he always digs, so no idea whether he would've been molting down there) and maybe that messed him up somehow???

I have read about crabs taking a long time to molt, but my other 3 molts were all really quick, all of a sudden there was an exo there, they just needed a few days in isolation to harden afterwards.

(I say "he" but no idea what "he/she" actually is, lol)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:46 pm

dropping legs? sounds bad but i wouldnt know, keep the tank away from harms way to the crabs. thats my suggestion

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 am

So sorry your little one is dropping legs [smilie=comfort.gif] this is not a good sign, unfortunately :(

How long have you had this crab? COuld it be PPS??

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:13 am

Dropping legs is never a good sign. :( It is usually a sign of severe stress. Sadly, it doesn't sound good for your little guy. For now, I would leave him alone, because there is not too much you can do for him at this point. Trying to handle or feed him might make the stress worse. If he is still alive after a week or so, then you can begin offering him food & water, because it will be hard for him to eat on his own, due to lack of legs. Good luck & keep us posted!