Which tank size would you go for?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

40 gallon breeder tank or 75 gallon tank?

Poll ended at Sun May 16, 2010 7:32 pm

40 gallon breeder
13%
75 gallon
88%

Total votes: 32

Topic author
vermonter16

Which tank size would you go for?

Post by vermonter16 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:32 pm

So I have 4 smaller hermit crabs that I just got over two weeks ago and 1 large crab that I got from a person in my area who couldn't care for it. Currently, my 4 guys are in a 30 gallon breeder. The big guy is in a 10 gallon because that's all I have (didn't know he was going to be so big and I could make the substrate deeper for him in that tank). My question is this: go for a 40 gallon breeder tank for the big guy and keep my other guys where they area, nice and cozy in their tank. Or get like a 75 gallon tank and put everyone in it. What would you all do?

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun May 09, 2010 7:52 pm

They prefer to be together. I would go for the larger tank. Though you could put them all in a 40g breeder, I don't think they'd be too crowded. But in general the larger the better. Saves you from upgrading later.

How big is this guy? Sounds huge.

Topic author
vermonter16

Post by vermonter16 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Yeah...upgrading later. I got the 30 gallon breeder set up just over two weeks ago.... What have I gotten myself into....crazy, just crazy....

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun May 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Go with larger now so you won't have to later! The big guy could use the extra space, and they'll all be happier together anyway. They may be cozy in the 30 gallon tank now, but remember that one day they'll be as big as your new guy! Seriously, it'll happen sooner than you think. I just had ANOTHER crab double in size during a molt!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aquav

Post by aquav » Sun May 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Go as big as you can from the beginning! It will save a lot of money and remodels later on.
(Speaking from experience, 20, 40, 55, now 90...).

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Sun May 09, 2010 11:11 pm

I just got a 40 breeder last christmas! i love it and it is wide but if i had been given the option of a 75 i would definately go with the 75
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Size matters and bigger is always better. :)

Topic author
vermonter16

Post by vermonter16 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 pm

All right....well, here is my husband's concern... That the very large crab (who is HUGE) will go after the small crabs that we have even if we get a larger tank (75 gallon) for everyone. He said he's afraid to put them all in together....

Any advice for my husband? I'm going to have him read this thread...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 10, 2010 4:12 pm

There's actually less of a chance that he would go after crabs that are smaller. About the only time crabs of the same species fight is when they're the same size and after the same shell. Your little ones will have more issues with each other than with the big guy.

This is Tsunami (my tinniest), with Thor (my largest). Thor was afraid of me and wouldn't come out, but you can still tell the size difference in the shells!

It is VERY nerve wracking when you first put them together, but when you watch them interact, you realize that they don't care about the size difference at all!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
vermonter16

Post by vermonter16 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 pm

WOW!!! That is amazing!!! Yeah, I see that my four guys of around the same size have interactions or scuffles if you will. Interesting point! I can't wait to show him this picture!!!

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 am

In this case, all things being equal, bigger is better. You really cannot give them too large an enclosure as long as you can properly manage the climate. In fact, larger aquaria are usually more stable, weather they are filled with water or substrate.

Keith

Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Tue May 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Adding to Keiths it is soooo much cheaper..
1g -$10
3g -$15
5g -$20
10g-$25
29g-$70
95gw-$200

if I would have only gotten the 95w first I would have saved..... about $120.... aka A LOT OF ACCESSORIES!
★Rescuer of Illinois Crabs★ Has 21 in a 95gw tank★
*If you ever need help I will help you to the best of my abilitys and if I can no longer be of assistance I will find someone who can be for you*
<3 The Hermies Want YOU To Help Them <3

Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Tue May 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Adding to Keiths it is soooo much cheaper..
1g -$10
3g -$15
5g -$20
10g-$25
29g-$70
95gw-$200

if I would have only gotten the 95w first I would have saved..... about $120.... aka A LOT OF ACCESSORIES!
★Rescuer of Illinois Crabs★ Has 21 in a 95gw tank★
*If you ever need help I will help you to the best of my abilitys and if I can no longer be of assistance I will find someone who can be for you*
<3 The Hermies Want YOU To Help Them <3

Topic author
vermonter16

Post by vermonter16 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Ok....so, I think I have scored a 90 gallon tank on craigslist with a mahagony stand and glass top (though not sure if that will work....see my other thread) for $175. Here in the DC area that is pretty good. I have been watching craigslist for quite some time now.

I need everyone to chime in. My husband asks "you're not going to put all the crabs together are you? the big guy will eat the others...."

I have showed him the picture....can you all add any advice to my husband. And you think the 90 gallon will now be ok? So much for the poll....40....75....lets just make it 90!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:15 pm

my 33 gallon exo terra terrarium was 20 bucks. :D :D