Double-dish bubbler pics, yo!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Giner13

Re: Double-dish bubbler pics, yo!

Post by Giner13 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:30 am

How is recommended to put the hoses in with a screen top lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 am

Giner13 wrote:How is recommended to put the hoses in with a screen top lid?

We do recommend a sealed lid, but you could use snips or something of that sort and cut open the vents a bit to fit in the tubing. Just be careful of sharp edges that could cut the line.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am

Ok! Yea my lid is covered with Saran wrap & tin foil which helps my conditions nicely!!

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:19 pm

If you have an acrylic lid, you can drill a hole of the appropriate diameter.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Also just wanted to throw in, my pools are about 3in tall and 5in long, and having the air pump on full blast spews water everywhere, lol.
A bigger pool probably needs more air pressure, but I don't have experience with that. Maybe someone with big pools will chime in on this thread

Artistmom81

Post by Artistmom81 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:07 am

I love the mesh on the pools!'
Mom to 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 chihuahua (Zoey), 1 cat (Sid), 2 bettas (Blu & Stitch), and 5 hermies (4 PP and an Eccie); Big Boy/Grumps (or whatever his mood is) Ralph, Faith, Munchkin & Spidey.
Little Dora(PP hermie) passed on 7/7/2017

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Forgive me if I missed this post :) but why do we like bubbling the pools what are the benefits? :?:
-Jimmer

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 pm

daws409 wrote:
DaJimmer wrote:Forgive me if I missed this post :) but why do we like bubbling the pools what are the benefits? :?:
Keeps the water fresh longer - instead of changing water everyday, you could get by with every 4-7 days depending on how deep/dirty the pools are. It also helps boost humidity in the tat for those that have humidity problems.

Pools are supposed to be deep enough for them to fully submerge in... And they need to have a way to exit.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Im trying to use MINIMAL outlets. Ill try it without first. Do the crabbies like the bubbles?
-Jimmer

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 pm

DaJimmer wrote:Im trying to use MINIMAL outlets. Ill try it without first. Do the crabbies like the bubbles?
My crabbies love the bubblers. For some, it takes a while to get used to.

I use a grounded 6 way outlet see pic... My night switch has a rheostat plugged in. The other end of my rheostat has two outlets that controls 2 moon glo bulbs - one on each side of tank. And my day switch has a 950 watt drop cord with another two outlets. This is for my UVB lights - one on each side of tank.

ImageImageImage

Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Your tat is LEGIT daws. :notworthy: Im going for minimal. My living situation does not afford me more than that. If i can keep the little buggers ill invest and do it up. I have a mini pump laying arround ill probably use it when the crabbies start bathing. . . . Dirty crabbies :D
-Jimmer

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:14 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Hopefully I'm not just repeating a better, pre-existent post, but I thought I'd throw up a quick referrence as to the visual how's of a bubbler system in a double container-pool. We recommend this all the time, but I've noticed it baffles newbies - unsurprisingly!

(Sometimes I rush to post answers, so I figure a quick picture link is worth a thousand poorly explained words! :roll: )

So, you need:

Materials:
1. An air pump... stores or online places that sell aquarium stuff will have these. Some are noisier than others.
2. Air tubing. Also aquarium supplies.
3. Air stone... different shapes exist... all will get the job done, so don't stress.
4. A pair of nesting containers: food containers work well.

Optional: a splitter or fancy gang valve for turning an air line for one pool (fresh or salt) into a bubbler for two pools (both fresh & salt). Ask people how best to do this, it's easy, but opinions vary.

Stick one end of the airline to the hole in the pump:

Stick the other on the airstone:

Then put rocks (or whatever) in the container that wont have water in it... bury it in the sub.

Next, take the container that will have water in it, and place this container in the buried one.

Add water.

Add bubbler, plug in, and voila! Improved humidity - just make sure the lid is good & sealed, or your humidity will escape!!

Wow. I have a stupid question. Why 2 containers? What does the bottom one do?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Often people find that their crabs will create their moult caves under a water pool. Then, every time you want to change the water, there's a risk of desturbing your moulter - it is tres annoying.

Having a dish under the container being changed gives the moulter the most privacy you can offer it... when it's chosen such a dumb place to hide.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Or if your pools are on the bigger side, double dishes help to hold the space/nest when changing the water... Don't have to re-dig the holes every time you remove the pool.

Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 am

Hermie225 wrote:

We do recommend a sealed lid, but you could use snips or something of that sort and cut open the vents a bit to fit in the tubing. Just be careful of sharp edges that could cut the line.
I'm setting up a new tank with a sliding screen lid. So even if I snip a hole for the tubing, what do I do everytime I need to take the lid off?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
Hermie225 wrote:

I'm setting up a new tank with a sliding screen lid. So even if I snip a hole for the tubing, what do I do everytime I need to take the lid off?
I have enough slack in my line so that I can pull the line up so that the air-stones are against the lid, and the wall is about 1ft from the side of the tank so I lean the lid in between there while doing maintenance. Or I just lift it and take out and put back what I need carefully and quickly without totally removing the lid.
Hope that makes sense, I'm on team no sleep for the past 46 hours, Image Image