Do you remove the pools?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Do you remove the pools?

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 am

Every single week, I change out the water and replace it with new.
My pools are 72 ounces, and they are doubled up, and I do rinse them out every time, which means I pull the top one out.

How many of you guys remove your top pool? With things like gravel or other decor on the bottom, that makes it harder to lift and rinse it.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do you remove the pools?

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 am

I do this as well. I used to use a pump (can’t think of the name- used for cleaning fish tanks) but it just wasn’t cleaning it well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 am

I remove the top pools. Mine aren't as big as yours though.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 pm

I wonder if I could get by without removing the top pool as often, as I have to continue moving branches to pull it out. If I did that, maybe I could only remove it every three changes.

I do have a small gravel vacuum that I can use to take the water out.
GB, how many ounces are your pools?
Crabber Since 2016

hopefullcrabber

Post by hopefullcrabber » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Are the pools aerated? If so, you would probably be okay with once a month, unless they drag a corn cob in there. Yes, mine actually accomplished that once. It fouled their salt pool overnight.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 am

Thanks, but I bought new pools and will be replacing them once all my crabs are up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:37 am

Stella wrote:Thanks, but I bought new pools and will be replacing them once all my crabs are up.

Where did you find those pools you had before? You posted a picture of them. They were the long rectangular plastic bowls with the craft mesh along the bottom...
i can't seem to find any that are deep enough AND have enough surface area for them. I've looked at Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and Walmart...
Also, how did you get the craft mesh to stay lined along the bottom? Aquarium safe silicone?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am

ciaraalston wrote:
Stella wrote:Thanks, but I bought new pools and will be replacing them once all my crabs are up.

Where did you find those pools you had before? You posted a picture of them. They were the long rectangular plastic bowls with the craft mesh along the bottom...
i can't seem to find any that are deep enough AND have enough surface area for them. I've looked at Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and Walmart...
Also, how did you get the craft mesh to stay lined along the bottom? Aquarium safe silicone?
I bought them at Target, and they are just Up&Up storage containers.
Yes, I ziptied plastic mesh from the lip of the container, and it stayed curved like that because I held it down while tying it in tightly.

You will not need silicone, but you can if you want :)

Crabber Since 2016

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:09 am

ciaraalston wrote:
We just picked up 2 quart BPA free containers at Wal Mart. They were 3 for around $3. The containers we're in the section with plastic wrap and bags, not with the kitchen gadgets. They hold a 1/2 gallon each. To secure the craft mesh we poked 3 holes in the top container, bent the mesh to form a "V" and secured with 3 small zip ties. We use these for our larger crabs so we do not have anything in the bottom.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities