Residue in dechlorinator?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Residue in dechlorinator?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I've noticed a residue, I guess, in the bottle of prime seachum. I've had it for about 4 months. I would think it should last a long time. And it has a sulfur odor. Is it bad? Honestly it could have been like this when I first got it but never noticed. I use an actual syringe to draw it up. Could the metal be a problem?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Residue in dechlorinator?

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Prime is a sodium salt, so it will smell awful and crystalize over time. According the company this is normal and does not affect how it works.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Residue in dechlorinator?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 pm

wodesorel wrote:Prime is a sodium salt, so it will smell awful and crystalize over time. According the company this is normal and does not affect how it works.

Thank you so much!! I was worried I was poisoning my crabs.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi