Marimo moss balls in water?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Marimo moss balls in water?

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:27 am

I have bubblers in both pools, but would marimo moss balls be okay in the pools? Would they benefit the crabs in any way? Are they safe?
I'm not sure if someone else has asked this, if they have I'm sorry! I'm on Amazon shopping for stuff I probably don't need (oops? ) and I came across some!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

fandt94

Re: Marimo moss balls in water?

Post by fandt94 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 am

Girl I have no idea but obviously you are just as bad as me when it comes to shopping lol
ciaraalston wrote:I have bubblers in both pools, but would marimo moss balls be okay in the pools? Would they benefit the crabs in any way? Are they safe?
I'm not sure if someone else has asked this, if they have I'm sorry! I'm on Amazon shopping for stuff I probably don't need (oops? ImageImage) and I came across some!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:15 am

[quote="fandt94"]Girl I have no idea but obviously you are just as bad as me when it comes to shopping lol

:hlol: :hlol: :hlol: i mean..... possibly.... :D
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:56 am

ciaraalston wrote:I have bubblers in both pools, but would marimo moss balls be okay in the pools? Would they benefit the crabs in any way? Are they safe?
I'm not sure if someone else has asked this, if they have I'm sorry! I'm on Amazon shopping for stuff I probably don't need (oops? ImageImage) and I came across some!

Yes, those are safe to use in the freshwater pool :)
I am not sure about the saltwater, whether it’ll live in that condition very long.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:23 am

stella wrote:

Yes, those are safe to use in the freshwater pool :)
I am not sure about the saltwater, whether it’ll live in that condition very long.
I just kinda wonder how it would look and if the crabs would play with it or not! Image

I found some drift wood on Amazon I want to order and once my littles are up I want to move some stuff around. I like the wood decor better than what I have, and I need a new shell shop. These buried half coconuts make it too easy for them to drag shells around. Image

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:18 am

The moss balls will be okay in freshwater only. And they are rather pretty. I have them in my community fish tank and my fish and shrimp love them. To keep them looking lush and pretty they have to have flowing water or have water changes often and be fully submerged underwater and have some sort of light source. With that being said I’m sure they are safe for your crabs since some of my fish are even more finicky then the hermits and require strict ph, temp, etc requirements. The moss balls are rather expensive and when you go in amazon and they advertise small moss balls they really are tiny like the size of a dime. If you really want them you can go to Petco or petsmart and they usually stock the larger ones in their fresh water tanks. Just give them a good rinse, squeeze and roll them in your hands and plop them in. They will float at first but once all the air is out of the ball they’ll sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:35 am

I have one in each of my fresh water pools. I also have them in my fish tanks. :) I do recommend you at least have bubblers. I do have UVB on my tanks.

I have only seen one crab pick at it once. Make sure you get a live one. I have seen fake fuzzy felt ones. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:54 am

Like others say, they fine. That basically algae balls, so not really going to do a whole lot of harm... ;) Like others said, they may need some lighting, not a whole lot since its a very undemanding 'plant'.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies