Water storage confusion!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Water storage confusion!

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Hey y'all! So I thought I understood this, but I recently saw a Facebook post debate about this so I'm a little confused.
I make my salt and fresh water a gallon at a time. My fresh is treated with prime, my salt is treated with prime and instant ocean.
It probably takes me a month to go thru the full gallon, as I do water changes once a week. My pools have bubblers in them. I usually have to add fresh water to both pools once during the week due to the water evaporating.
I saw that someone said the gallon of salt water gets saltier over time as it sits...?

Should I do water changes more often?
Are the gallons of water still good, or am I making too much at a time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Re: Water storage confusion!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I also make a gal at a time. I even checked for ammonia build up. There was non. As for the salt build up...I've noticed that no matter how much I shake up the container, salt stays at the bottom. I've been using the same container for months. I keep forgetting to get a new gallon of water to use. But I will get it today.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:34 pm

You always have such great questions, Ciara! I normally think of something and you have asked so I already have an answer. I always worried about storing my salt water too, it takes me awhile to use a whole gallon.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Why is it getting saltier? Evaporation?

That’s why I keep a tight lid on my water. Of course, I also change the water pools every few days, so I go through a gallon fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:07 pm

With a lid on it, no it will not get saltier - a little shake before offering would be a good idea, just in case anything settled while being stored.

I personally think what you're doing is fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I also make a gal at a time. I even checked for ammonia build up. There was non. As for the salt build up...I've noticed that no matter how much I shake up the container, salt stays at the bottom. I've been using the same container for months. I keep forgetting to get a new gallon of water to use. But I will get it today.

Update: I forgot to get another jug of water while at the store. :?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Love this question because I also wonder! I’ve even checked both jugs of water for ammonia as well and both have always tested fine even after a few weeks.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:24 am

Awesome! I thought I had read about this and it was okay, but of course I got all worked up and worried and wanted to be sure!
RiNiKy506 wrote:You always have such great questions, Ciara! I normally think of something and you have asked so I already have an answer. I always worried about storing my salt water too, it takes me awhile to use a whole gallon.

Thank you @RiNiKy506 Image
I read old threads and I love how detailed they are with info so I try to add what I can so that anyone else reading later on can learn too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 am

Bacterial growth will happen anytime non-chlorinated water is sitting at room temperature. Once had an environmental studies prof go loopy about the idea of keeping Brita pitchers on the countertop because omg will it grow all kinds of nasty gut-wrenching bacteria - and he did the studies to prove it. (Although well water is generally much much scarier in terms of contamination. Yes, he gave me a phobia. )

So far the crabs seem to be immune to any kind of bacteria that does grow, so maybe it is an unnecessary worry. I have always prefered to mix fresh for them just in case since we don't know much about their health.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I generally make 4-5 gallons of each type of water every month. I go through close to a gallon of salt and over a gallon of fresh every week. Between the pools and using the fresh mix for rinsing and cleaning water and food bowls I go through a good bit. I store it in a dark closet with the lid on until I'm ready to use it. So far I havent noticed any green or any type of funk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 pm

I use a lot more fresh water bc I re-rinse their dishes and pools after I rinse them clean in the sink and change the fresh water daily. I was more worried about the salt water bc their pool is pretty small and I only change it when it gets dirty, which can be 2-4 days depending on salt water pool parties. They use their fresh water pool more often, plus I think that’s what they drink, so I like to keep that one as clean as I can.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:20 am

I premake my gallons, but between all of my critters, crabitats, and now my zoeae, I'm going through a lot. It doesn't sit for long. I personally would never be concerned about it as long as it isn't sitting in the sun.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com