Mixing the salt water

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Mittmom

Mixing the salt water

Post by Mittmom » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:32 pm

I am setting up my first crabitat and I have some Oceanic brand aquarium sea salts. I saw on someone's website to mix 1.5tsp salts for 1 cup water. Does this sound right? I don't want to get it wrong!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Mixing the salt water

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Mittmom wrote:I am setting up my first crabitat and I have some Oceanic brand aquarium sea salts. I saw on someone's website to mix 1.5tsp salts for 1 cup water. Does this sound right? I don't want to get it wrong!
You need marine salt not aquarium salt. Most of us use Instant Ocean and the best way to mix it is in a gallon jug. That way you have for awhile. 1/2 cup to a gallon. And what I learned the hard way is to put the salt in the container first, then the water. And a drop of Prime dechlorinater.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mittmom wrote:I am setting up my first crabitat and I have some Oceanic brand aquarium sea salts. I saw on someone's website to mix 1.5tsp salts for 1 cup water. Does this sound right? I don't want to get it wrong!
You need marine salt not aquarium salt. Most of us use Instant Ocean and the best way to mix it is in a gallon jug. That way you have for awhile. 1/2 cup to a gallon. And what I learned the hard way is to put the salt in the container first, then the water. And a drop of Prime dechlorinater.
Oceanic marine salt for setting up saltwater fishtanks is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Mittmom

Post by Mittmom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Thank you. What I have is for setting up saltwater tanks. I went ahead and mixed the amount I saw recommended on someone's website. Hopefully it is "right."

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Mittmom wrote:Thank you. What I have is for setting up saltwater tanks. I went ahead and mixed the amount I saw recommended on someone's website. Hopefully it is "right."
Just mix according to package directions. Some sites do post the breakdowns for smaller amounts like we use, because saltwater tanks use a heck of a lot more salt and water at once than we need to mix up.

IIRC they usually have at least the directions for a gallon of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk