Bubbler pool / mesh top questions

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Cinn

Bubbler pool / mesh top questions

Post by Cinn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 am

I’m looking to add a air stone (using an air pump) to the water in my tank to keep the humidity levels high. My issue is that I have a mesh top tank with no outlet for rubbing. I could slide the tube between the top and the tank but that will leave open my top a bit. I was also thinking of cutting a hole in the mesh to feed the tube in and securing the tube to the mesh hole with silicone. Would this work or is there a better way to do this? Thanks for the help

Topic author
Cinn

Re: Bubbler pool / mesh tip questions

Post by Cinn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:04 am

Outlet for tubing*

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:41 am

If you slide it in-between the top and the glass it will eventually pinch the tubing and cut of the air supply to your water. I personally would probably just cut them like you mentioned :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:37 pm

I would probably cut a small hole in the mesh. My only concern would be over time the cut wires will eventually come loose. To combat the loose wires I would use a temporary top for a day or two. Figure out where I was going to add the hole/s then add aquarium silicone in that area to hold everything in place. After it dries I would cut an opening in the mesh then use it. The reason I say to use a temporary top for day or two is because the fumes of the curing silicone can be toxic to the crabs.

I did something similar with a glass lid. I drilled a hole in the plastic section to poke the tube through. I also did that on a center divider of a 55 gallon tank too. I put a plastic bag inside the tank in case any plastic pieces fell inside. If you use the right size drill bit the tube should be a tight fit.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 pm

See if the lip of the tank, where the lid lays, has a notch cut out for such things. Most tanks do. The problem with putting them through a hole in the mesh is taking off the lid to feed, or clean, or change water...
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi