Salt Water

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
owilderman

Salt Water

Post by owilderman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:42 am

Hi, I have 3 hermit crabs. 1 is a purple pincher the two others are Eccie. Me and my Mom have hermits and we will be trading crabs so that the species can be together. Now can I use Sea Salt you get from the store? Not iodized but Sea Salt. What is the Salt to Water ratio? Thanks! :crabbigsmile:
This is a signature. I hope I don't exceed the 300 character limit. :D

hyelah1990

Re: Salt Water

Post by hyelah1990 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 am

You will need a product for marine fish like Instant Ocean to replicate the sea and just follow directions on the box for mixing.

Topic author
owilderman

Post by owilderman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 am

I have ordered some of the mix but I need a temporary solution. Thanks though! :D

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 am

owilderman wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 am
I have ordered some of the mix but I need a temporary solution. Thanks though! :D
How long is temporary? A day or 2? Will you be digging up any of the crabs to trade?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
owilderman

Post by owilderman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 am
How long is temporary? A day or 2? Will you be digging up any of the crabs to trade?
I will only have to wait a day or 2 I ordered it from amazon prime. My mom doesn’t know for sure whether or not we will be trading.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 am

owilderman wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 am
I will only have to wait a day or 2 I ordered it from amazon prime. My mom doesn’t know for sure whether or not we will be trading.
I would think 1 or 2 days without saltwater would be ok. Think of their conditions before we get them. Someone with more experience may say different.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:50 am

Salt water is needed in the long run, but it isn't the most important thing in the world. Even a few weeks/months won't have much of an effect if they are healthy. If you have newer crabs or exotics then they should have it as soon as possible, but a few days wait for delivery is perfectly fine.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
owilderman

Post by owilderman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks! :crabbigsmile: I went ahead and put a little sea salt and mixed it with some water. Just in case. I have all be hermit who is molting and I wanted to make sure that if she finishes molting while I am at school she has immediate water.