Water Cabanas!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

PinchersAndShells

Re: Water Cabanas!

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 am

I like them! How do you clean?
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 21, 2019 11:26 am

They are a bit of a process to clean. It takes about 20 minutes total but has been keeping the substrate from collecting extra moisture. I have been also seeing in and climbing on them too. So I believe they are using them.

I remove the airline between the check valve and the T splitter first.

Pull both pools out of the tray. Tops and pools in one piece.

Drain the water and grossness at the bottom of each pool.

Cut the zip ties holding each top to each pool.

Scrub each pool and crab mesh that is still attached with a toothbrush.

Clean each of the tops on the inside with a toothbrush and also wipe down the airlines. The hoses get a reddish funk on them.

Rinse all with dechlorinated fresh water.

When I reassemble the tops to the bottoms I can only get all the ziptie started before pulling them all tight otherwise I don't have room to use my hands to get the other ones.

Once they are back together I put the cabanas back in the tray in the tank and reattach the air lines.

Each pool takes about two normal sized bottled waters. It's easier to fill smaller bottles to reach into the tank rather than using my gallon jugs.

Finally they are ready again.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Does the aquarium silicone hold the stones to the containers pretty well? I'm starting my pools this weekend and was wondering how well it holds up.

Gonna get some containers tonight and attempt something similar hoping it will help my humidity out I have to mist several times a day.

Seems I can't get the humidity above 75%

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:26 pm
I managed to get about 5-7 days out of 8 cup water pools with 8-9 large crabs using them. Their shell openings are about 1-1/8". The 6 strawberries always swim and drag sand into the water. Their water needs to be changed a lot.

I have 2 medium and one small purple in another tank. They have pint sized pools. I never see them swim. They only climb to the edge and drink. Their water pools stay a lot cleaner so I may let them go 7-10 days at most between changes.

I found it's easier to change the foods one day then do the waters the next. I change out their food every 2-3 days so after every 2-3 feedings I will change the water. Unless it gets really funky.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Hermit199013 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm
Does the aquarium silicone hold the stones to the containers pretty well? I'm starting my pools this weekend and was wondering how well it holds up.

Gonna get some containers tonight and attempt something similar hoping it will help my humidity out I have to mist several times a day.

Seems I can't get the humidity above 75%
The silicone holds the rocks to the container just fine so far. I did take some sandpaper to the outside of the containers to help the silicone grip a little better.

The only place silicone did not hold was from the tray to the containers I glued to the bottom. Those I did not sand. The silicone just peeled off each part easily. I also used black rather than clear aquarium silicone.

On the plus side the tray did manage to collect about 3/4 of a cup of water that would have otherwise went directly into the substrate. After we found that we just pulled the tray, emptied the water, rinsed everything and put it back in the tank.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:13 pm

These crabanas are beautiful!! I also use high powered air pumps - and I have never had issues with flooding. My humidity stays up in the low 90s now. It used to be 99% until I put toppers on. :) I'm not sure what is going on with your situation. I never spray my moss. I take my moss out re soak in a bowl, and squeeze out. Perhaps that's the difference? I don't ever use a mister in my tanks. Too risky.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks Gotbutterflies Im happy with how they turned out. I believe our biggest problem is when winter hits up north. The humidity in our houses drop to 35% or lower. With that low of a humidity in the house it really sucks it out of the crabitat. Glass lids help but humidity still escapes. I even tried some foam weather stripping between the tank and glass. The issue may also involve having a rear UTH and one on the side of the tank too. The main one is controlled by a thermostat so I don't think that would have a drastic effect on the humidity. Maybe it does?? In the spring I unplug the second heater and the relative humidity climbs back up because we no longer need to heat our homes.