Prime and Instant Ocean ratios?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Prime and Instant Ocean ratios?

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:05 pm

So I recently just bought a bottle of prime and a box of instant Ocean. I want to mix the solution into 16 oz bottles. How much of each solutions should I put for fresh water and salt water?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Prime and Instant Ocean ratios?

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:48 pm

Sorry, I don't use Prime so can't answer that one. But Instant Ocean is 1 Tablespoon per pint (which is approx. 16oz).

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=92553
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:55 pm

Found this thread - not sure you can mix Prime in such small quantities such as 16oz.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 7&t=119516
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:25 am

curlysister wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:55 pm
Found this thread - not sure you can mix Prime in such small quantities such as 16oz.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 7&t=119516
Okay. I figured as much. I went ahead and mixed it in quantities of half a gallon. That much you can do since it's about 2 drops per full gallon. Thank you.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:12 am

People on another place I visit once in awhile treat their actual water dishes, not their stored water bc prime wears off after 48 hours. So if you treat a 16oz bottle just use 1 drop. You can’t really overdose on prime but don’t go crazy with it either.

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:46 am

Okay good to know. Thank you!! ^w^

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:05 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:People on another place I visit once in awhile treat their actual water dishes, not their stored water bc prime wears off after 48 hours. So if you treat a 16oz bottle just use 1 drop. You can’t really overdose on prime but don’t go crazy with it either.
Prime stops bonding to ammonia after forty-eight hours. If there’s no ammonia or chloramine (which is broken down into chlorine and ammonia) already in the water there’s nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:08 pm

JoeHermits wrote: Prime stops bonding to ammonia after forty-eight hours. If there’s no ammonia or chloramine (which is broken down into chlorine and ammonia) already in the water there’s nothing to worry about.

^^^ this. It still does bond readily with chlorine - until its gassed off - or heavily metals!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:00 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:^^^ this. It still does bond readily with chlorine - until its gassed off - or heavily metals!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I can’t tell if this is ”aw, yah” emphasis or “aw, nah” emphasis.

I was trying to say that you don’t need to worry about the forty-eight hour thing if you’re not trying to get rid if ammonia.

HermitCrabParent

Post by HermitCrabParent » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi - not to hijack your thread but I am also using Prime for the first time. I have a 72oz/2.13L (little more than half a US gallon). Its a harder plastic water bottle made in the USA , I don't trust the soft plastic gallon containers (I can taste the plastic when I've had to use them).

I filled with tap water, mine has a Chlorine smell, always had. When I drop 2 drops of Prime in , using a small pinhole in the top of the bottle opening cover, I then shake the container to mix it up. The smell of Chlorine is now more "pool water smell" versus "tap water smell", if that makes any sense?

Should I be adding more until there is no smell similar to bottled water?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 am

HermitCrabParent wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 pm
Hi - not to hijack your thread but I am also using Prime for the first time. I have a 72oz/2.13L (little more than half a US gallon). Its a harder plastic water bottle made in the USA , I don't trust the soft plastic gallon containers (I can taste the plastic when I've had to use them).

I filled with tap water, mine has a Chlorine smell, always had. When I drop 2 drops of Prime in , using a small pinhole in the top of the bottle opening cover, I then shake the container to mix it up. The smell of Chlorine is now more "pool water smell" versus "tap water smell", if that makes any sense?

Prime is a chemical as well, so there will always some smell to treated water. Go with what the directions state, as tap water has to be within certain limits and that's what the instructions cover fully.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:21 am

HermitCrabParent wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 pm

To answer your question to some degree. Prime does have a smell to it. It's normal. As far as what amounts to use, I poked a pinhole in mine just like you, and add one drop of Prime directly to each pool. It's working really well for me. And the crabs use the the water just as they normally do. Also Prime only keeps working in the pools for about 2 days (or 5-7 days if you have a bubbler). So I would change the water every 2 days.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:24 am

BlazeTheWeirdo wrote: Also Prime only keeps working in the pools for about 2 days (or 5-7 days if you have a bubbler).
Where did you get these numbers from? Prime stops binding to ammonia after forty-eight hours, but other compounds should be just fine.