Prime and other questions

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
IcedPineapple

Post by IcedPineapple » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 pm

How much prime would I add to an 8oz water bottle? I've heard that prime "disappears" after 48 hours and so it would be pointless to add it to the gallon of water I purchase and keep adding it every two days... what do you guys like to do? Also, is it normal for my PPs to not really swim in the water? I've observed them drink it and like climb on the edge and kinda dip a leg in but other than that, nothing. They never swim in the bowl or submerge. Is there possibly something wrong with my water?

Topic author
IcedPineapple

Re: Prime and other questions

Post by IcedPineapple » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:50 pm

IcedPineapple wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 pm
How much prime would I add to an 8oz water bottle? I've heard that prime "disappears" after 48 hours and so it would be pointless to add it to the gallon of water I purchase and keep adding it every two days... what do you guys like to do? Also, is it normal for my PPs to not really swim in the water? I've observed them drink it and like climb on the edge and kinda dip a leg in but other than that, nothing. They never swim in the bowl or submerge. Is there possibly something wrong with my water?
*spray bottle oops

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Sorry I can't answer your Prime question.

But I have never seen my crabs 'swim' either! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 pm

It’s two drops of prime per gallon, so a single drop will cover you for an eight ounce bottle, a little bit goes a long way!

It doesn’t disappear, that’s only when using it to remove ammonia, which it really doesn’t do, what it actually does is bind the ammonia into a less harmful form for 24-48 hours, as a way to keep it on hold until you can change the water, that refers more to aquariums than crabs.

Also, some crabs like the water more than others, mine don’t submerge either, so its definitely not a concern if they don’t appear to use it as you’d expect them to, they know when to call it.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 pm

I have once or twice seen one of mine take a full dip.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Most crabs only stand at the edge of the water and get their claws wet. I have been experimenting with my saltwater pool for a few weeks now. After seeing Courtney Karr's bioactive presentation at Crab Con really got me thinking about the pools. I think she has some crazy activity in her pools from all species in that video. I really think there is more to the water than just adding pools because they need water. I figure I have enough room in my tank so I may as well experiment a little.

Here is a link to Courtney's presentation. She goes into a lot of fine details about different levels in the water. I'm still learning on that end but I'm getting there.

https://youtu.be/4ZvBcrxy8Ic
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Babybytc88

Post by Babybytc88 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:00 pm

When I added a 5.5g tank inside my 75 with filters bubblers and air stone I saw my E swim for the first time. She has since done it often she seems to enjoy it quite a bit. She will spend hours in there before coming out. Before this I had bowls with no bubblers and all I noticed was toe dipping. I have been doing 25-50% water changes which I’m slowing down on hoping my water will cycle fully soon . But I know that is not an overnight process. My temp also stays around 75 F inside pools Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:45 pm

Mine would swim more often when I had the water dishes up against the side of the glass with the Ultratherm on it. I had to move the bowls back away from the heater due to ease of access.
When I upgrade I’ll definitely be decorating so I can put them where they can be heated, and eventually I plan on building a very large custom crabitat where I can incorporate two cycled aquariums with their own water heaters and filters.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/