Water Prep Clarification

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Water Prep Clarification

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:25 am

HI GUYS!!

Im so excited to be apart of your forum! Before I start I just want to take a quick minute to THANK YOU. I spent all week combing over all the fact sheets and threads that pertain to my issues. You guys are amazing. I know it takes considerable time and effort to post, research and maintain a forum and I am so grateful to find you all. Thank you so very much for your dedication!

That being said:

I have not seen much information about distilled water which Ive been using...

For fresh water: My assumption was distilled was fine - straight from bottle, no treatments needed
For salt water: I use Flukers Saltwater Concentrate/Conditioner (which thankfully takes care of ammonia) in the distilled.
- Is this step (Flukers) what you guys refer to as "Prime"? The act of neutralizing? Also, this converts to salt which saves a step using stuff like Instant Ocean ... correct?

After all my mistakes - poor babies - Ive spent considerable wasted money. I may just convert to refrigerator filtered tap.

Filtered Tap for Fresh - Need a new neutralizer/prime (using your recommended list - THANK YOU :banana: )
Filtered Tap for Salt - Can stick with the single product Flukers as above due to neutralize and salt conversion ability

Thank you in advance for clarifying!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Water Prep Clarification

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 am

Distilled water is not used for pets’ drinking water because it has no minerals. Animals evolved to drink from natural water sources, pure water isn’t good for them.

It’s cheapest and easiest to just add a few drops of a dechlorinating agent to tap water. Most of us use that.

“Prime” is referring to Seachem Prime, a dechlorinating product. It can be purchased from any pet store.

For saltwater, use a salt marketed towards fish. Instant Ocean and Red Sea are common brands. Use the salt along with dechlorinated water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:14 am

JoeHermits wrote:
“Prime” is referring to Seachem Prime, a dechlorinating product. It can be purchased from any pet store.

oOOOOoOOoOO I seeeee

Ok:
Fresh Water = Tap with Prime
Salt Water = Primed Tap with IO

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 am

KrankyKrab wrote: oOOOOoOOoOO I seeeee