Putting a 5 gallon Betta fish tank in my 50 gallon tank

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Elainedean124

Putting a 5 gallon Betta fish tank in my 50 gallon tank

Post by Elainedean124 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello!

I have gotten a betta fish and snail that live together in a 5 gallon tank that I’ve noticed could fit in my hermit crab tank. I was curious if Hermit crabs would be able to safely get water from the betta tank if I designed it so they could climb in and out without disturbing the fish?

This is just an idea but if more experienced hermit/fish owners advise against it, I won’t be disappointed if it’s a bad project.
I’ve had purple pincher hermit crabs (Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hermes, Apollo, and Hephaestus) since May 31st, 2017. Kinda new at hermit crab care, but I’m learning new things everyday!

Scarletfire

Re: Putting a 5 gallon Betta fish tank in my 50 gallon tank

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:16 pm

A 5 gallon tank would be big in a 50 gal tank, but it's do-able. You will significantly reduce the climbing space if it's above sand level, or reduce molting space if it's below, which will decrease the number of crabs you can have.

That alone, I wouldn't keep the fish and snail in the crabitat as the betta / crab can attack each other.

Also, I would look at the seams to see if it's intact. I wouldn't use anything other than something new in case it leaks, then you'll have a flood.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Putting a 5 gallon Betta fish tank in my 50 gallon tank

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:11 am

I'd be worried more for the fishes sake rather than the crab. A betta isnt going to do much damage compared to a crab which can not only rip the finnage of a betta apart, but also the betta itself.

IMO, if you want fish with crabs. You want it to be small, darty cheap fish that you're not afraid on loosing. A betta isn't really going to fit that bill IMO.

If you do in fact place a 5g tank into a 50g, keep in mind the reduction of space (mostly moulting space) so stock crabs accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies