Water Pools and Pebbles

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
asiankanye

Water Pools and Pebbles

Post by asiankanye » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 am

So I have some plastic food containers - y’know, the ones you take to a school cafeteria in a lunchbox. Anyway, they’re sort of deep, but not extremely deep. I have a pretty incredible amount of small, small stones that I was wondering if I could pile them in the pool so long as they are clean and the hermit crabs can get out. I do have hot glue, but I don’t know how well that would go. I don’t have exact measurements of the containers, as it’s sorta late for me but I don’t feel like sleeping. I’ll try to provide those at a more reasonable time in the morning. The pebbles are like the decoration pebbles in a garden. I just need to know if I could hot glue them into the container. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Water Pools and Pebbles

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:18 am

Hot glue won't be work for long. Over time all the stones will come loose.

I recommend using silicone. I prefer to use silicone labeled aquarium safe. If cuts out any confusion as to what may be safe. As long as it is 100% silicone and does not have mold reducer or mold inhibitor labeled it should be safe. They ones that aren't safe generally says something about protecting from mold for X amount of time.

After everything is siliconed generally it takes 24 for it to cure and stop releasing fumes. 24 hours is the bare minimum. Waiting longer definitely won't hurt.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:35 am

I actually just realized i have some leftover fishing net. can i ziptie that to the container and then let the crabs get in and out with that?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am

Net can be used, but be careful. Its a great wick!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:52 am

Got it, thanks!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:55 am

Like Aussie said it can easily empty a pool in no time and flood the substrate.

We used to use fishnet all the time. We saw crabs try to crawl through the net rather than climb up. We got concerned about crabs getting tangled or stuck so we removed it in all of our tanks. Just be extremely cautious if and how you use it!

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Motorcrab, can you take a picture of the Aquarium Safe silicone you use please?

I followed the link of one of the other silicones that was recommended on here and purchased it online. When I got it, it said “Not Safe for underwater and/or aquariums.”

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:03 pm

I need something that would be in a caulking tube size.

Links

Post by Links » Fri May 08, 2020 5:30 am

CrabbyChelle628 wrote:Motorcrab, can you take a picture of the Aquarium Safe silicone you use please?

I followed the link of one of the other silicones that was recommended on here and purchased it online. When I got it, it said “Not Safe for underwater and/or aquariums.”

I’ve used GE silicone 1. Not 2.

Here’s all I could find :

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 08, 2020 9:26 am

Silicone is always confusing with how the manufactures label everything and what they state it is used for. Silicone selection for aquariums could probably have it's own guide.

We use silicone labeled "aquarium safe". With using it for things in our shop it keeps it so much easier to keep track of if anyone ever has questions. It's more expensive than 100% silicone listed below, but similar to food grade silicone too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085NB1JBY/re ... TEbMYM2AKK

A silicone labeled "food grade" is also safe. It is approved by the USDA and can come into contact with food in production plants.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9HCEJS/re ... TEbGBWSSJ4

Silicone labeled "100% silicone" is also safe. This is the super confusing one due to the wording about mold. Not all silicone will prevent mold growth. Since mold won't grow on silicone for so many years they will state that. I don't like recommending this type although it's safe. I don't want to tell someone something's but I'm not positive myself. This is also a lot cheaper than the other types

I think of silicone being similar to the Playsand we use. We found it safe so we started to your it even though it is sold in home improvement stores and does not mention anything about pet use.

Here is an interesting one. I searched "aquarium safe silicone Amazon. This one is on the search results for aquarium safe. Says mold free for 7 years on the front. On the second picture of back, under the instructions it reads "not for underwater/aquarium use". Does that mean not to use it at all in an aquarium? Does it mean it would be safe for an aquarium as long as it is not under water? Like a reptile aquarium. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CBIH9/re ... TEbWFQRBDQ
Confusing isn't it?