Water Changing

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Hermielover121

Re: Water Changing

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Oooooh I am excited I am getting my two pp a 20 gallon tank from PetSmart tomorrow ( or maybe the next day) I still need to find some more decorations to hang and for them to climb on. I’m so excited I love setting up new tanks. I just got the crabs three months ago so I am kinda a new crab owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links

Post by Links » Tue May 12, 2020 7:40 am

Yay! Please post updates on your new set up if you don’t mind. Have fun!

Btw, I’m just 6months at this crab thing and dunno when I’ll feel like I’m not a newbie. I’m never sure about anything I do but I don’t want to bombard people here with question after question. I can usually find an answer already discussed here but sometimes it’s not a complete answer for me.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue May 12, 2020 8:20 am

Links wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:40 am
Yay! Please post updates on your new set up if you don’t mind. Have fun!

Btw, I’m just 6months at this crab thing and dunno when I’ll feel like I’m not a newbie. I’m never sure about anything I do but I don’t want to bombard people here with question after question. I can usually find an answer already discussed here but sometimes it’s not a complete answer for me.

Always ask questions. Don't feel bad. Especially if you haven't found the answer.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 am

That's the same issue I have always had with answers. I'm never happy with a yes or no or because that's what recommended. I like to have some sort of explanation as to why as well. Usually one answer and explanation will lead to another question.

I ended up starting to fully explain things at work in detail over the phone. If I only answer the one question the park asked they will call back 20 minutes later with a follow up. Then I have to stop what I'm doing to answer another call. I try to do the same thing here.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Links

Post by Links » Wed May 13, 2020 9:32 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 am
My cycled pools 2.5 gallons each get about half changed every monthly

Changing non bubbler pools it's recommended to change every 2-3 days. With bubblers maybe every 5-7 days. It can really depend on size and how much the crabs dirty them.

It sounds like your pools are about 30 ounces. The biggest thing with the water is ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels. You could technically test the water and change it once the levels get elevated. Ammonia is what you would be your biggest concern. Adding a drop of Prime to your water pools will help by bonding to ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. It would buy you an extra day, maybe two. I wouldn't recommend doing it over and over.

I have been experimenting with the water in my 29 gallon for a while. I added bio stones to harbor good bacteria and algae. My saltwater pool has it growing everywhere! I have been just rinsing them out but not scrubbing. I don't think its unsafe but I can't say it is safe either.

I don’t think algae is bad and a quick search I found this statement and other similar statements;

Is Algae bad for Aquariums?
Believe it or not, small amounts of certain types of algae are beneficial for your aquarium. Plants and trees benefit land creatures by filtering toxins and producing oxygen; this is exactly what algae do for your tank. Of special importance is the algae’s ability to cycle nitrogen components, like ammonia and nitrates. This is especially significant if your aquarium does not feature live plants that cycle the nutrients naturally.

Hopefully this is a credible source and I’d think if it’s ok for aquatic animal life it should be ok for our crabs.