Tannins in waters

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Xenocrab

Tannins in waters

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 07, 2020 2:51 pm

I'd like some opinions, based on experience about tannins in your crabby waters. My crabs like to put the leaf litter in their waters and I'm thinking of maybe leaving them there and see what happens. What are your experiences with tannins?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tannins in waters

Post by JoeHermits » Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 pm

If you’re interested in tannins I suggest you give this article a read: https://tanninaquatics.com/blogs/the-ti ... -aquariums

Our hermit crabs are terrestrial, but considering how closely related they are to their marine cousins I think tannins in their water may prove to be beneficial. However I’ve never gotten around to testing it (works better if you don’t have to do 100% water changes regularly). I also don’t know if eating plant debris has the same effect as having it in their water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 07, 2020 3:15 pm

I'm asking for experiences

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Have to monitor water quality closely, since it is an organic and it will mess with the parameters. Higher ammonia, and lower pH. When used in an aquarium the volume of water and filtration offsets this issue, but our pools are tiny by comparison.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Wodesorel, if I leave the leaf litter in the water bowls for 2-4 days, will there be any health benefits to my crabs, if they drink it? Or will the levels turn toxic? I have deep dishes, no bubblers or filters. I change the waters every 3 days.

Links

Post by Links » Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 pm

May I ask what if the type of leaf would make any difference? I have a catappa (Indian almond leaf) near the freshwater. It’s been nibbled on I can see and it might be partially in the water now from the crab moving it.

I suppose any leaf litter would end up dropping the ph due to the organic acids that are released (if I’m correct). I’d also think some rocks could offset the leaf litter affect like limestone. But the amount used might need to be exact to find a balance? Then again would it be good or bad to have all that extra stuff in the water?

I wonder do the crabs like fresh water puddles in the wild or streams? Or both.

I’ve had discus fish that did good in somewhat hard water which is supposedly not what they prefer. They never seemed to be stressed to me. I’d like to believe they adapted to my water.

Land hermit crabs don’t live in the water like fish but can they adapt ? I think I’d rather offer them what I learn is right or better safe than sorry approach. I have so many questions. I think of questions all the time but don’t have time to ask. Thank god everyone says. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 pm

I don't see much of a benefit for the crabs since they have the option of eating the leaf. Tannins are used with fish to recreate their natural conditions, but they live in the water so it has an enormous and constant effect on them.

Higher ammonia levels can cause gill and mucus membrane damage fairly quickly, and it's hard to know how fast they would raise from the leaves, so it is a decent risk. One fish creating waste in a small aquarium can raise the ammonia levels to toxic in under a day, as can small amounts of leftover food. It shouldn't take much to do the same with a crab's water bowl.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram