Keeping fish (rosy red minnows) in water pools?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Keeping fish (rosy red minnows) in water pools?

Post by FJrocks003 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:45 pm

I recently bought some feeder fish for my snakes but they wouldn't eat them. I now have some random fish just sitting in a bucket and I'm not sure what I should do with them. I was wondering if I could keep them in the freshwater bowl of the hermit crabs, there are 6, 1/4 inch, minnows and the bowl is 1 gallon. I have no intention of setting up a new tank just for some fist that escaped being snake food so... don't really have many options. Would this work?
Proud owner of two snakes, one dog, too many fish, and 3 hermit crabs.

JoeHermits

Re: Keeping fish (rosy red minnows) in water pools?

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Minnows grow to be several inches long and require adequate filtration. I don’t think this setup would work in the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
FJrocks003

Re: Keeping fish (rosy red minnows) in water pools?

Post by FJrocks003 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:33 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 pm
Minnows grow to be several inches long and require adequate filtration. I don’t think this setup would work in the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have a filtration system in place on the pool, so that's not an issue. I have a pond in my yard but I'm hesitant to add them there because last time we added some new fish they passed some disease onto the coi which kill a lot of them... maybe I can just keep them in the hermit crab bowl for a month or two too make sure their free on disease then add them to the pond?
Proud owner of two snakes, one dog, too many fish, and 3 hermit crabs.