I’ve Been Cleaning my Stuff with Tap Water!!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
hermit_crab_mommy

I’ve Been Cleaning my Stuff with Tap Water!!

Post by hermit_crab_mommy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:18 am

I’ve been cleaning my food dishes and water dishes (both fresh and salt) with tap water without treating it. I got them Sunday and it’s the next Thursday, will that be okay if I change now or is it too late?
New owner of 3 purple pinchers who I love

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I’ve Been Cleaning my Stuff with Tap Water!!

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Not too late for sure. You can still continue to clean them with the tap water, just give them a rinse with dechlor water after.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:58 am

I just rinse in tap water, been doing it since I first started. The remaining water will lead to chlorine to quickly evaporate; and chloramine/heavy metals are in such low concentrations to be an issue.

Its safe to do so :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

mool

Post by mool » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:55 pm

I've been known to run my crab dishes through the dishwasher. :shock: I have only ever washed in tap water (or in the dishwasher) and then air dried. This is bad?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:27 am

mool wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:55 pm
I've been known to run my crab dishes through the dishwasher. :shock: I have only ever washed in tap water (or in the dishwasher) and then air dried. This is bad?
Not bad.
Full disclosure - I never rinse anything in dechlor water. I wash bowls with tap water, which is actually undrinkable well water in my case.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 pm

I use tap water to clean things off too ...I just make sure I dry it off real good before it goes back in the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:51 pm

When I kept fish and I needed to clean decor or like, plastic plants - I'd scrub them in some tank water but then I'd soak them in some fresh water + white vinegar for maybe 5 - 20 min, depending on how bad they needed cleaning. Then I'd rinse them super well in tap water under the faucet and let them air dry on some paper towels. White vinegar can clean ALOT and I think it's much better than bleach honestly, unless you're dealing with crypto with lizards, etc. That's a whole new nightmare.