Clean Sponges or Throw them Out

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
hermit_crab_mommy

Clean Sponges or Throw them Out

Post by hermit_crab_mommy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:03 pm

I haven’t had my hermit crabs and although I dip the sponges in hot water and then squeeze them out, I have heard that you should microwave the sponges every few days. I don’t know if I should do the microwave cleaning method or every few day or throw out the sponges and replace them with new ones.

I know that bacteria and mold can grow on the sponges quickly, and although I haven’t seen anything on them yet, I don’t want to risk it. I also don’t want to stop using sponges because my crabs seem to like them. So, is it safe to microwave clean the sponges along with hot water or should I just replace them?
New owner of 3 purple pinchers who I love

Hermiesguardian

Re: Clean Sponges or Throw them Out

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:17 pm

They do hold bacteria. You can feed them dry natural sponge.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Clean Sponges or Throw them Out

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:38 pm

You should not use them in the water. Like HG said, put them in the tank dry for the crabs to snack on. Not in the water bowls.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers