What type of spring water to use?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Bubble_hermes

What type of spring water to use?

Post by Bubble_hermes » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 pm

What's the best brand of spring water to buy for the hermies. I need bottled water anyway so I figured I may as well get something that was also ok for them.
Owner of three PP's,Hermes, Zephyr, and Shy!
Also the mom of four cats, a dog and several houseplants =)

ZooMama

Post by ZooMama » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:55 pm

It is soooo disappointing when you are seeking help and nobody replies! That has happened to me then I think, "Ok so I need to know, am I not important enough to get an answer or was it a stupid question!!"

I was hoping someone would reply to you so I could find out too lol I have well water with a lot of hard minerals in the water so I didn't want to use it. I was just using the store brand that said "Spring" and made sure it didn't say municipal water anywhere on it. I don't know if that is the preferred kind, but it hasn't hurt any of our 46 crabs.

Good luck!
25 PPs, 13 Es
3 Pink Indos, 2 Indos, 8 Strawberries, 4 Blueberries, 2 Violas
<b>As well as....</b>
6 Cats; 2 Dogs; 4 Horses; 4 African Dwarf Frogs

Topic author
Bubble_hermes

Post by Bubble_hermes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 am

Gosh! Thank you ZooMama! I was wondering if anyone would reply. Yes, I bought the "Refreshe" spring water. You don't suppose Flouride ions would be a problem do you? There's only 0.2 PPMs. It's also Ozonated.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 am

In my opinion you really want spring water, like from a spring. Not all bottled water is spring water. I would avoid ozonated water, reverse osmosis water, distilled water, nursery water or any that has anything added to it.

Make sure it actually says natural spring water. In the east I recommend poland spring, or zepyherhills, out west we seem to have crystal geyser, but they also make nursery water and distilled water. Any flouride is too much for crabs as far as I am concerned.

Topic author
Bubble_hermes

Post by Bubble_hermes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:28 am

Wow! Good thing I haven't given them any yet! Well, i guess I'll use this water for myself and when it's all used up I'll buy a different type that will be safe.

Alma

Post by Alma » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:34 pm

hey. Let me just say i agree in feeling crumby when no one replies.:cry:

I am barely reading this forum, So let me say i use crystal geyser spring water. I've had no fatal incidents or any issues with this water. I get a very large water bottle for 56 cents, so i just use that one.

But don't ask me about salt water. i have no clue how that work i myself am waiting for a response. :hlol:

Hope that helps you decide on the bottled spring water choices. :D

Alma

Post by Alma » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:36 pm

aclightingdesigner wrote:In my opinion you really want spring water, like from a spring. Not all bottled water is spring water. I would avoid ozonated water, reverse osmosis water, distilled water, nursery water or any that has anything added to it.

Make sure it actually says natural spring water. In the east I recommend poland spring, or zepyherhills, out west we seem to have crystal geyser, but they also make nursery water and distilled water. Any flouride is too much for crabs as far as I am concerned.
The water I use is Crystal Geyser NATURAL alpine spring water. :D

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:21 am

Distilled water is most likely fine, all they are really doing to it is boiling it and catching the evaporated water. That is basically distillation in a nutshell. I also think baby water is ok, I could be wrong, but I thought baby water was completely empty of everything.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus