Should I dig up my molter just in case?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Maddamay32

Should I dig up my molter just in case?

Post by Maddamay32 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm

The crab on the right is currently molting, his full exo is next to him and he's very pink and soft. The crab on his left I thought was also going to molt as he's been laying down there just as long as the molter but I'm unsure now that he's standing up. It's been a little less than 3 weeks since they both went down. There's maybe 3 inches between them in the picture. Should I isolate the molter right now? Or wait to see if the crab starts digging towards him?Image

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Should I dig up my molter just in case?

Post by curlysister » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:54 pm

Personally, I would leave them. Cover the outside of the tank so they have darkness.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:08 pm

curlysister wrote:Personally, I would leave them. Cover the outside of the tank so they have darkness.
Thank you so much

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:35 am

That's kinda scary. I have a few buried now. I know (hope) the one that's been down a while is just molting, but yeah, I have no "windows" and def could understand your concern!

Can't wait to either upgrade or just change my substrate around March or so if the crabs cooperate. Will def be adding more than 6" which I initially thought was overkill as a newbie last year, but did it anyway.

Would love to have a window in although I'd put some cardboard over it for darkness as mentioned. Have to start looking at tanks again soon to see the next logical upgrade from a 20 long.

Hope all remains well!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 am

I'd monitor that closely, but if neither has moved in 3 weeks there is a very good chance they are both moulting.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am

Maddamay32 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm
The crab on the right is currently molting, his full exo is next to him and he's very pink and soft. The crab on his left I thought was also going to molt as he's been laying down there just as long as the molter but I'm unsure now that he's standing up. It's been a little less than 3 weeks since they both went down. There's maybe 3 inches between them in the picture. Should I isolate the molter right now? Or wait to see if the crab starts digging towards him?Image

I wish I had windows! Two of my crabbies are down and I'm so tempted to look for them! But I'm not! Ugh! These crabbies give me so much anxiety! Why do I have to love them so much? :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺