Crab hasn't molted with us yet.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
soilentgringa

Crab hasn't molted with us yet.

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 am

I am worried about Ms. Groot. She has been with us since 21 weeks and hasn't gone down to molt yet. She is a large crab, and is the only one of our crabs that hasn't molted.
She is my very most beloved crab and I am scared that she has been putting off molting too long, maybe...
She's in a 1.5 inch shell right now and it's a little large, but a 1 inch shell is too small. She's hiding right now so I can't get a great photo but there has to be a good 3-4 inches between her back leg tips when sprawled.
She didn't have sharp leg tips when we got her, either, they are a little worn-almost like dull points.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Crab hasn't molted with us yet.

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:55 am

I had Thane for 10 months before he molted for the first time, or changed out of the shell he came in - a very worn out apple murex. It worried the heck out of me and of course I was scared of PPS because he hadn't molted yet, but he was fine in the the end and had a quick molt and finally put on something different. He was a large/extra-large crab.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

hermitcrablover1

Re: Crab hasn't molted with us yet.

Post by hermitcrablover1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:50 pm

I have had 3 crabs that were with us for 20 months before molting. The first was small. He finally went down and came up perfect. We have had this crab for 8 years now. He now usually molts every 6 to 8 months. I have 2 crabs now down that are a large that finally went down about a week apart. They have been down for a few weeks now. I have had some go down immediately within minutes of getting them. They follow their own schedule and frequently don't do what we think they will do!