Sebastian wants out.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
citiliviey

Sebastian wants out.

Post by citiliviey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:41 pm

My largest crab, Sebastian has been digging a bit more that often, so I put him in ISO. He has fresh fruit with honey, a FW bowl, fake leaves to hide on, moss, a log to climb on, good heat and humidity, and about 6" of sub. He stays in the farthest, highest, corner though and looks like he wants out. Right now he is pacing a wall, reaching up. I am giving him the best ISO I can. Any ideas? He just got in there like 10-15 minutes ago. So he may just be exploring?

Topic author
citiliviey

Re: Sebastian wants out.

Post by citiliviey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:43 pm

He just ate for a minute or two and is now climbing around on the fake leaves. Still curious though.

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:30 pm

He has made a little indent/pot hole (what do I call a shallow and wide hole?), in the shallow end of the tank I put him in. The shallow is 3-4" and the deep end it 6-7" from an estimate. Is it safe for me to take him out very quickly and add more sub? He is large so I think he might really need it. Thanks.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:38 pm

You do not need to ISO crabs that want to molt. They can molt fine on their own, and should be left to take care of themselves.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Should I move him back? He just has been showing some aggression towards other crabs, so I thought it would be best.
I added more sub and now he can almost get out. I also ISOd him because as you may know, I am a bit over crowded, but my terrarium should be done by Tuesday at the latest and will no longer be over crowded. He seems content in his little fake leaves right now, but a few minutes ago, this is what he was doing.ImageImageImageImageBut he is now inside of the leaves. And walking around in there a little bit. He seems happy in ISO, but should I move him? Since he is already in there, would the stress of him moving to be in a shared terrarium be worth it?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Well since everyone is getting upgraded you might as well reduce the stress by waiting til then to move him. Just keep future molts in mind.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:40 am

Okay. (:
The upgrade should be done soon! The tank is together and now comes the sand. xD