Crab Molting? Need help plsssss

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
friesb4uxbabe

Crab Molting? Need help plsssss

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi there, I'm still kind of new to hermit crabs. My brother adopted 2 hermit crabs for me as my Christmas gift, after two days I found out 1 had been dead, so I went back to petsmart and was able to adopt a new one. Its now been a little more than a month and my two girls Sage and Petal have been doing fine. They live in a 10 gallon tank, substrates about 4 inches, I use just EE but I've been trying to save up for a bag of (Quikrete) sand. The humidity stays up fairly well. They have two little hides, two water dishes, salt and fresh water. Anywhooooo, sorry for rambling. My smaller hermie, Petal, buried herself in the EE substrate on Feb 3. I haven't seen her since. At first I thought I lost her but when I found her (no I didn't pull her out, just felt for her little shell) I left her there and buried her back up. Its been about 5 days and there's no fishy smell (thank goodness). But i'm just wondering if this could be her molting or destressing? Although i doubt its destressing bc they both did that when I first got them and after that they were walking about and everything.
BTW: Yes I did a whole lot of research before they were given to me, so I'm aware of how they need to be taken care of and stuff. Just want to get other people's opinion as to what they think she might be doing. Thanks to anyone in advance who might respond! :crabblush:

Topic author
friesb4uxbabe

Re: Crab Molting? Need help plsssss

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Welp, thanks to anyone who read. Guess I'll have to figure this one out on my own! :anon:

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Probably destressing, but a molt is likely too.

EDIT: They could really be doing anything. Just because they're buried doesn't mean there molting.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Topic author
friesb4uxbabe

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:26 pm

Thank you! Your response is very much appreciated :)

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:57 pm

Crabs often dig for no reason other than fun. You need to give them sand that's used in kids sandpits mixed with Eco earth. The ratio is 5 parts sand to 1 part Eco earth. Make it nice and deep and they will love it. If you do this mix you won't have to change it ever. Unless you get a flood or other emergency situation.

Still in denial I've managed to pull this off.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Being new crabs they're probably de-stressing, could need a molt after a long trip and finally standing in nice deep sub to do so. Also, when they dig for any reason they create a cave and tunnels that allows them to breath so by digging down into that cave then covering it back up has collapsed the roof of that little creation they're so good at making. I'm sure you little one is fine and re-dug it by now but for future reference never dig up your crab.
-

Topic author
friesb4uxbabe

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys! :D