Missing crab!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
DarthKrab

Missing crab!

Post by DarthKrab » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:21 pm

I've never experienced this in all the 2 months I've been crabbing (it's okay to laugh that's why I started with that) but one of my crabs has gone missing! I seriously doubt she escaped through the top because the only way to get up there is the zip ties holding up my coco fiber wall and even then I've got tape EVERYWHERE that isn't broken in any places. I don't see any dig sites but she isn't on the surface, behind the coco fiber wall, in the hermit hut, or even the bush I put in for them. Is it possible for her to have dug under and someone else covered up her hole?

Tank: Image

Tape: Image

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

hermitcrablover1

Re: Missing crab!

Post by hermitcrablover1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi! Crabs can bury themselves and leave little or no trace behind. I have also seen crabs fix the sand so no trace of digging remains after a fellow crab buries. One of my crabs usually fixes the sand when his tank mates go under. It is neat to watch.

Topic author
DarthKrab

Re: Missing crab!

Post by DarthKrab » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:22 am

hermitcrablover1 wrote:Hi! Crabs can bury themselves and leave little or no trace behind. I have also seen crabs fix the sand so no trace of digging remains after a fellow crab buries. One of my crabs usually fixes the sand when his tank mates go under. It is neat to watch.
Phew! I was hoping that was the case since Chancho seems to always make himself a crater in a corner and if he moves, the crater seems to disappear. :lol:
I also did find a little spot in the hermit hut that looked like someone was digging but when I poked at it a little to see if the sub was loose, it felt as if nothing had changed so I bet that's where he went down.
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."