Molt Sac?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
BrisHermies

Molt Sac?

Post by BrisHermies » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Please tell me this is a molting sac.

Sorry about the image quality. She is really feisty, and I don't want to get pinched. Image I've never seen a molt sac before, but this kind of looks like the pictures I've found. I have her in my journal as having molted about two months ago. (But who knows for sure?) I'm worried about the white spots, though.

eview24

Re: Molt Sac?

Post by eview24 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:18 pm

I do not know if it is the quality of the picture but a fat pouch AKA a "molt pouch" is black with white spots and those look like eggs. That is extremly unlikely.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Hard to determine he needs to come out more could be eggs could be a molt sac.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:59 am

It is a molt sac. Definitely not eggs. Molt sacs can be various colors, depending on the crab. Your crab may molt soon, maybe not. Some crabs seem to carry molt sacs for weeks or months before actually digging down. Some seem to almost always have one.

This is what eggs look like:

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Molt sac!

I've had orange colored molt sacs before and bluish grey.

Pinkypants

Post by Pinkypants » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:01 am

OMG, I just found 2 separate things in my tank. They each look like a slimy off white piece of a snail ! Best way I can describe them. Can not figure out how to attach a pic !! Any ideas ?? They just appeared in a matter of hours. Had crabbies for years, never seen such a thing !!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 am

Pinkypants wrote:OMG, I just found 2 separate things in my tank. They each look like a slimy off white piece of a snail ! Best way I can describe them. Can not figure out how to attach a pic !! Any ideas ?? They just appeared in a matter of hours. Had crabbies for years, never seen such a thing !!
You can post a pic through Tapatalk.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi