First Official Molt! & Post!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Markg21

Post by Markg21 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:13 pm

I've been following the forum for about a month now, awesome people and resource. About a month ago, I decided to pick up two new Hermies for my young kids, as I loved crabs when I was younger.

Rainbow started showing some molting signs for the last week or so, lots of digging, signs of the sack/ nutrient pouch, and lot less activity. I never experienced a molt with my childhood Hemies so hopefully these go better! I've been following the tank condition stickies so I may not be 100% but it's getting there!

Out of curiosity, do most of you use the soda bottle trick when isolating molters?

A few pics below:

hermitcrabdc

Re: First Official Molt! & Post!

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:20 pm

HI, and welcome to the HCA.
Using a pop bottle to isolate molters is only necessary when something has gone wrong. For example, if you have a surface molter you would use a pop bottle to isolate the molter from other tankmates. If he has dug down and the substrate is deep enough (judging from the picture it looks a little shallow, it should be around 3 times higher than your largest crab) he should be okay. You just have to remain patient and don't bother him.
On a side note, I see a few things in you tank that need to be removed.
First off, the sponges. Those will collect bacteria unless they are cleaned constantly. Besides that, they don't benefit the tank that much.
Secondly, those painted shells are bad for hermit crabs. The paint can be toxic if the crab eats any of it. Sometimes crabs will chip off the tops of their shells to get a better fit. Since hermit crabs are scavengers, they could potentially eat any chipped off paint.
I hope this helped :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
Markg21

Post by Markg21 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback Hermitcrabdc! I've made the changes you suggested and have been slowly making some other changes to the tank (adding some plant cover mostly, removing the wood hut as it got moldy etc). Since the first molt, I decided to pickup two additional crabbies. All has been well and two more crabs dug down.

So out of four crabs, only one is on the surface at the moment. Has anyone had a similar experience, think it's okay to have one above surface alone? It makes me want to pickup another friend to keep him company :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Markg21

Post by Markg21 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Topic author
Markg21

Post by Markg21 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm hoping to add some more substrate soon, I have some EE but need to pickup some additional playsand. It's right around 4" deep now.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:35 pm

What ever you do try not too over crowd either just a heads up :)

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:04 pm

how muchgallon tank is your tank?
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Sponges do not harbor harmful bacteria, this has been debunked. If they get nasty, people with compromised immune systems could possibly get ill, but the crabs aren't going to.

Sponges are not necessary to boost humidity or to be there for the crabs to drink out of.

Better to just provideI pools deep enough for the crabs to submerge in, with bubblers to bump up the humidity.

Your lone crab will be fine. They grow quickly in good conditions and it is important to provide them with plenty of space. These animals are used to walking miles and miles in the wild and having unlimited digging space.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk