New to Molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Krabby_Mommie78

New to Molting

Post by Krabby_Mommie78 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:57 am

I bought 3 crabbies yesterday, set up their crabitat and they were moving and eating last night. Today I have 2. My question is, when they dig to molt, would you see a big area in the substrate, or do they cover up pretty well? I am sorry, I am going to have tons of questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MsWorld

Re: New to Molting

Post by MsWorld » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:59 am

That depends on how much substrate you have. But all of mine leave behind a huge mound of dirt. When they dig up it looks like a tunnel.

What do you mean you have 2??

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Welcome! Sometimes they have PPS, and dig to destress and not just to molt. When mine dig, they fill their tunnel pretty well. I can only see a very small mound of dirt where they dug. Sometimes I can only see a little dip in the sand. It depends on the crab and the kind of shell they have and where they dig in my tank. I have pp's and e's. The e's are messier and dig more for fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Krabby_Mommie78

Post by Krabby_Mommie78 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:40 pm

MsWorld wrote:That depends on how much substrate you have. But all of mine leave behind a huge mound of dirt. When they dig up it looks like a tunnel.

What do you mean you have 2??
I'm sorry, I'm so new to forums. I now have 2 crabbies, my third has gone MIA and I'm wondering if he went to destress.Image. The soccer ball crabbies is missing, and I know he did not get out of the crabitat

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:44 pm

They go down in the sand to de stress. Totally normal and it's okay. He might be down there for days or even weeks. No need to worry as long as you know he didn't get out.

Sorry for asking that question. The way I read that statement I thought you were saying you started with 3 and sadly now only have 2. Sorry I read it wrong.

Topic author
Krabby_Mommie78

Post by Krabby_Mommie78 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:14 pm

I totally understand!!! I would be devastated already! I'm already getting attached, they are so much fun to watch. Especially since I have given them the right home and not some crazy wire cage with just a wet sponge and some crappy food!!