Tiny crab help :(

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
HermiesIsMine

Tiny crab help :(

Post by HermiesIsMine » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:24 am

So the very first hermit crab I boug like 6 weeks ago went down for what I'm assuming is a molt at this point on August 1st today is August 25th now it's been just over 3 weeks. Hrs only about the size of a dime. My substrate is 5:1 playsand and EE about 6 inches deep through out. I don't know is it possible he's STILL molting/destressing or sense he's so small he should be done by now right? Should I dig? I haven't seen any signs of him coming out.

Topic author
HermiesIsMine

Re: Tiny crab help :(

Post by HermiesIsMine » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:28 am

He's buried under the swimming pool by the glass I can't see him from any angle thru the glass but I watched him dig down weeks ago and smoothed the substrate out where he's at but none of my other crabs are even small enough to get there to mess with him. Its a narrow walkway between the swimming pool and the glass.what should I do? Just leave him? Dig? COULD he STILL be down molting/destressing 3 and a half weeks Lester when he was only the size of a dime???

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:34 am

Molting can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months depending on the size of the crab.

Your little one could be down for a few more weeks.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:36 am

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92527 that's our molting sticky, gives a bit more info on time frames, but perfectly normal. They can be down for up to 8 months it more (usually jumbos) My crabs took extra time in their first molt, I had one that was dime sized ( they grow up so fast :,( lol) it took him 5 weeks. Honestly I wouldn't stress until after the 2 and a half month mark. Crabs will backfill tunnels as well, and they can be tricky! Just stay positive, and keep conditions right- it's really all you can do. :)

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:38 am

Ok thank you I knew the larger the crab the longer the molt but for one so small I figured he would be done by now. He was so tiny when I got him I wasn't sure if he was even large enough to come home with me. Dime size is like the maximum size he was. He may have even been a little smaller

Topic author
HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 am

After reading the sticky on molting I am even more worried....

Tiny - (1 week), every month
Small - 2-3 weeks, every 1 to 3 months
Medium - 3 to 6 weeks, every 2 to 5 months
Large - 4 to 8 weeks, every 4 to 10 months
Extra Large - 6 weeks to 8 weeks, every 10 to 12 months
Jumbo - 8 weeks to 16 weeks, every 12 to 24 months

I'd definitely say he was in the tiny category as I can't imagine he could be smaller. But it says only 1 week and even the small category says 2-3 weeks and it's already been 3 1/2 weeks and I'd say small is still too big of a category for him.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:16 am

A tiny can literally fit on a dime and is only 1/2 inch long according to the care guides ratio. They are incredibly tiny when they first take to land. But honestly, after all these crabs go through, it's not uncommon for them to destress a few weeks before even beginning the molting process, just try to be patient and wait it out, it gets easier every time, I promise! I was just as scared when I started.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Ok thank you

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Some crabs really prefer being under the sub then being up and about. I have a couple who just go down not to molt, and I doubt to destress since I've had most of them for years. Sometimes they go down a couple weeks just because. And some crabs go down and destress for weeks, and then molt after that. Just give your crabbie more time. Its hard I know but its better to leave it be then dig it up mid molt.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 pm

My medium sized crab just came up after 11.5 weeks under the sub molting :shock: Patience is the hardest thing for me. I had to keep reminding myself on a daily basis that he is most likely fine and doing what he needs to do. :)

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:15 pm

My small one was under for 4 weeks mediums were under for almost 2 months and my medium who went down 3 weeks ago is still down it takes time for sure. It's uneasy time to wait but hang in there.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:37 pm

I have a particular crab that is RARELY seen. When he is out my entire household comes out to see him! Also, a crab can go down in one spot and come up at the other end of the tank. With that said they can also dig around for weeks before ever molting to 'find the right spot'. Usually when i start getting nervous is when my molter makes their grand reappearance! Good luck! It really does get easier btw, i don't even notice who's up and who's down anymore as half of them are in the same shells.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Topic author
HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Sorry about the long delay of responses it's been hectic here. Just want everyone to know I woke up today and my tinny crabby has resurfaced in the same place he went down. Its hard to tell if he actually molted or not. He doesn't have the fresh spikes on his legs. But he did change out of his painted shell immediately after resurfacing which is great because he was the last one who still had a painted shell from the store. But he switched into a rather large shell almost the size of a half dollar. I picked it up think it was just an empty shell they knocked out of the shell shop so I returned it just to notice a minute later it had moved again when looking inside the shell I can not see him but I know he's there because the shell keeps moving when I'm not looking. I don't know why he chose that shell though. There is about 5 other shell's that are better suited for his size he just wanted the mansion I guess?

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk