Newist crab not molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
EOD-Crab

Newist crab not molting

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:44 pm

I had a sympathy buy from Petsmart because it was the last live crab and I hoped to give it a shot. Plus side the Petsmart did take my advise and changed their care. But this one from the day I got him has white around joints and tips of legs and in to small of shell.

Well he seems to be doing ok. Eats and drinks, active at night. But he is the smallest of my three and I got him while they were molting. Well the other two are molting again and he still hasn't. The eyes don't look too cloudy but given his size and time I've had him he should have molted.

I don't ISO because I've never had a problem with molting death. The crabitat has approx 8 inches of sub.

I know I can't do anything but are these signs of irreparable damage from before?

isadoraisacat

Re: Newist crab not molting

Post by isadoraisacat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:13 pm

I'm not very experienced but hermies kitchen on Etsy sells a food for injured crabs with pps to help them get through a molt. I just found out about this and wish i knew sooner it could have helped my one crab :(

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:40 pm

When he's ready he will do his thing. Does he have hairy legs? Are his tips semi sharp? It certainly is good news he's active :)

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Topic author
EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 pm

No his legs are bald, also tips are a bit chipped, including large claw. I am thinking the white is just his overall color. Maybe a sign of earlier malnutrition. however he has not changed color since his current months of good nutrition.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:58 am

Hmm. As already posted they usually will just do their thing...but if you are super concerned-Have you tried covering him with something under a partially buried container (like the rim.)If he isn't ready to molt he should dig out...if he doesn't, leave him and hopefully nature will take course... Totally speculation, but if he's gonna pull a surface molt it might speed up the process...

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:14 am

I didn't plan on trying anything. He knows better than me what he needs. I just was curious if others have seen this behavior and if it is a sign of eventual death.

That and my wife doesn't care about the crabs so I don't have anyone to talk to about it lol

Topic author
EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:20 pm

He may be molting. I'm not sure because he is burrowed behind the coco fiber climbing wall. Never had anything but digging molders so can't be sure but no smell and hasn't been out for about a week. I just didn't notice but if molting he started around when I made this thread lol