Seriously! How long do you wait?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hollym2247

Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Hollym2247 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:54 pm

I know, forever right?

Alien (about the size of a silver dollar) went down in the new tat less than a week after coming up in the old tat (4-6 weeks down in that tank). He's been down 8 weeks. The bigger two were up and down, but I haven't seen stripes since she grabbed a new shell, maybe 4-6 weeks. Brownie swapped shell a couple times, was mostly down and hasn't been up in at least a week and crazy Dora, who hadn't molted to my knowledge in the 2-3 years I've had her finally dug down under the food dish a few days ago and hasn't been up.

Either the new tat is awesome, comfy and conducive to molting. Or it's toxic and they're all digging down and dying.

I'm probably just worrying. But it's so weird having them all down for so long. Reassurance? Horror stories? Advice?

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:49 am

Hey, neither of the ones I look after have done much digging at all - in a whole month! I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the substrate.

Crabs are weird.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 am

I wouldn't worry. There are jumbos that have been down for up to 8 months or more...talk about stressful!! I've had small crabs down for 2 months before. But my large did a 3 week speed molt? They also could be coming out at night, as they are nocturnal. :) Sometimes I think they like to make us a bit crazy. XD

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 am

I have a crab that stayed completely gone for 6 months. When she came up, she was several sizes bigger. She was kept in a bad situation for a long time. Now that she's a jumbo and has been in good conditions for years, she's a pretty rapid molter. It takes her and my other jumbo about 4-6 weeks to molt.

Topic author
Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:I wouldn't worry. There are jumbos that have been down for up to 8 months or more...talk about stressful!! I've had small crabs down for 2 months before. But my large did a 3 week speed molt? They also could be coming out at night, as they are nocturnal. :) Sometimes I think they like to make us a bit crazy. XD

I've smoothed the substrate and put out tasty treats, and nothing is disturbed at night.

Topic author
Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:I wouldn't worry. There are jumbos that have been down for up to 8 months or more...talk about stressful!! I've had small crabs down for 2 months before. But my large did a 3 week speed molt? They also could be coming out at night, as they are nocturnal. :) Sometimes I think they like to make us a bit crazy. XD

I will be sad if I have nothing to look at but sand for the rest of the year. :(

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 am

It shouldn't be that long. Lol Twas just an example. :3

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:44 am

mool wrote:I have a crab that stayed completely gone for 6 months. When she came up, she was several sizes bigger. She was kept in a bad situation for a long time. Now that she's a jumbo and has been in good conditions for years, she's a pretty rapid molter. It takes her and my other jumbo about 4-6 weeks to molt.
My jumbo went down for the first time with me (rescue) -__-
Right before the switch to the 75 gal. Now i have a 75 gal with dry sub in it! So 6-8 months huh? Hes baseball size.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:43 pm

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:
mool wrote:I have a crab that stayed completely gone for 6 months. When she came up, she was several sizes bigger. She was kept in a bad situation for a long time. Now that she's a jumbo and has been in good conditions for years, she's a pretty rapid molter. It takes her and my other jumbo about 4-6 weeks to molt.
Right before the switch to the 75 gal. Now i have a 75 gal with dry sub in it! So 6-8 months huh? Hes baseball size.

It's hard to know for sure but be prepared for a loooong wait. Usually my biggies molt in December, they have for years and did last year. They also both pulled a molt this summer for the first time. Crabs are weird!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:28 pm

mool wrote:
KayedeeLove<3 wrote:

It's hard to know for sure but be prepared for a loooong wait. Usually my biggies molt in December, they have for years and did last year. They also both pulled a molt this summer for the first time. Crabs are weird!
;)

Topic author
Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Still no activity. I put in all the mineral treats they love a couple days ago JIC and nothing us disturbed. Hope my little guys are ok. This is nerve wracking.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 am

They are great teachers of patience aren't they? XD but I am sure they are fine!

Topic author
Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Ahhh! One peeked out last night and had some food and water. Pretty sure it's stripes, 2nd one down back in August. She's in a rough green turbo. I can't quite tell.

But I'm excited to start filling food and water again. Temp and humidity are holding steady at 80-82, so still hoping everyone is fine.

Topic author
Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 pm

Shoot. Whoever came up nibbled food once and disappeared, without his/her shell. Hopefully he/she grabbed another. Ugh! I can't wait to start seeing some activity again.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:16 am

Maybe try leaving honey out, or something else they love, and see if you can sneak out sometime in the night and see if they are up then?