Seriously! How long do you wait?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hollym2247
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Hollym2247 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:31 am

Rawrgeous wrote:Maybe try leaving honey out, or something else they love, and see if you can sneak out sometime in the night and see if they are up then?
I have. Apples, mineral supplement and crushed oysters, their favorites. Nothing is touched.


Just Jay
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Location: New Orleans LA

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Just Jay » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:29 pm

I totally understand! I rescued four crabs at the beginning of the month and the smallest Tina is only up for one or three days at a time, usually eating or drinking then she will go under and come back up. She has gone from being small to a smallish medium tho! RoxSand my third smallest [biger small size] eat and drank her first four days then went down for week's. She came up a medium big, big enough to be confused for my largest crab Hermione [who also went under recently]. Now after getting new shells my only male Uu [used to be second biggest. Now hes barely smaller than RoxSand] is in a much bigger shell just sitting in a hide not moving. So i guess he's getting ready to go under. That means ill only have one crab up!


HonestlyVitali
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by HonestlyVitali » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:36 pm

I have a crab that's been down there 6 weeks now and I'm also super worried... The others were all up weeks ago. But all you can do is wait, right? I know, I hate it too...

User avatar

Kermie16
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 am

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:56 pm

I have one that's been down now for 3 mos. my last one was down for 11.5 weeks. We have 5 total so it's like they take turns going down! Lol!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

kieagcarm
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Hollym2247 wrote:Ahhh! One peeked out last night and had some food and water. Pretty sure it's stripes, 2nd one down back in August. She's in a rough green turbo. I can't quite tell.

But I'm excited to start filling food and water again. Temp and humidity are holding steady at 80-82, so still hoping everyone is fine.
What's stripes?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

User avatar

Rawrgeous
Posts: 1510
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:34 am

kieagcarm wrote: What's stripes?
I think that's her crab's name. :)


Topic author
Hollym2247
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Hollym2247 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:06 am

This is so long! I have an urge to dig around and check on these guys. I won't, but I wish I could check on them. I know one is alive. But he's still not coming out to eat or play.

And yes, Stripes is a crabs name. But I won't know who any of them are when they come back up. Both my jumbos were dark purple before they went down, and the one I saw briefly is bright with lots of orange and hairy legs now. Plus they all switched shells.


Just Jay
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Location: New Orleans LA

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Just Jay » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Hollym2247 wrote:This is so long! I have an urge to dig around and check on these guys. I won't, but I wish I could check on them. I know one is alive. But he's still not coming out to eat or play.

And yes, Stripes is a crabs name. But I won't know who any of them are when they come back up. Both my jumbos were dark purple before they went down, and the one I saw briefly is bright with lots of orange and hairy legs now. Plus they all switched shells.
It's the worst!! I confused two of my crabs because one came up in a new shell and so much bigger and brighter it took me a little bit to realize who she was [or wasn't rather] my only male Uu also had to go check her out so i feel better about knowing im not alone lol. Ive had two crabs molt when i first got them but it never gets easier. As i wait for Hermione to come up and am watching to see when Uu goes underground its still just as stressful as the first time......come to think of it i barely see Tina lol.

User avatar

Paradi
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:02 pm
Location: California

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Paradi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:14 pm

I just got my crabs October 20th and they are now both molting so my tank is practically lifeless. It's sad but I'll be patient. But at least this gives me time to clean and place their new shells, fix the moss pit (which collapsed right where I believe Olve dug down, which worries me), boil their cholla wood in salt water since they started molding, and rennovate/clean the crabitat as a whole


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Just Jay
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Location: New Orleans LA

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Just Jay » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Paradi wrote:I just got my crabs October 20th and they are now both molting so my tank is practically lifeless. It's sad but I'll be patient. But at least this gives me time to clean and place their new shells, fix the moss pit (which collapsed right where I believe Olve dug down, which worries me), boil their cholla wood in salt water since they started molding, and rennovate/clean the crabitat as a whole


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great idea son your still involved and have something to do with the energy instead of worrying

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

User avatar

Paradi
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:02 pm
Location: California

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Paradi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Just Jay wrote:
Paradi wrote:I just got my crabs October 20th and they are now both molting so my tank is practically lifeless. It's sad but I'll be patient. But at least this gives me time to clean and place their new shells, fix the moss pit (which collapsed right where I believe Olve dug down, which worries me), boil their cholla wood in salt water since they started molding, and rennovate/clean the crabitat as a whole


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great idea son your still involved and have something to do with the energy instead of worrying

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
lol I'm womanImage but no worries! You're right I have to do something to keep the stress at bay. This may buy me some vital time to work on my aquarium I'm setting up as well. I put it on hold because I was more excited about the crabs lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Topic author
Hollym2247
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Hollym2247 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am

Still waiting - Alien (med-large) molted in June-July, and went right back down in August. Stripes (jumbo) has been down since August as well. Hope they're OK, but I'm losing hope for Alien.

User avatar

Kermie16
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 am

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Don't lose hope for Alien!! Our Chime went down in August too and we are still waiting on him. I've heard some crabs can take 6-9 months. So I'm just thinking he's taking his own sweet time:)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Just Jay
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Location: New Orleans LA

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Just Jay » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Thats exactly how im trying to not feel. I know it can take forever but everyone has come up and Tina has even done i think three molts [two for sure] while i still wait on Hermione. I miss her the most i hate to say it but she is my favorite and most social crab. I have the other three up right now but am starting to feel like one of my mediums will go back down before she finally comes up. I know them being happy and healthy is whats important but id like to see all four up again at the same time.

User avatar

Kermie16
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 am

Re: Seriously! How long do you wait?

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Omg. I would LOVE to have all 5 of ours up at the same time just ONCE! Just to watch them and hear their shells clanking around the tank, tearing the whole tank up, would be awesome! My crew, on the other hand, thought otherwise and have decided to stagger their molts :P Such rebelliousness! Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply