First Successful Molt!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Paradi

First Successful Molt!

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:53 pm

I got my two little ones on October 20th by the 29th Olve dug down. Just two nights ago I came home to find Olve's old murex shell sitting empty next to the saltwater dish and all the new shells tossed around. Then last night I found him demolishing a food dish and poop and food smeared all over the other food dishes. He moved to a larger murex and got much bigger and brighter red. Here's a pic I tried to take without disturbing him. I'm so excited about his success! Yippe came up too. She doesn't appear to have molted and is still in her painted shell but she dug down again by this morning so I'll patiently wait for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Re: First Successful Molt!

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Paradi wrote:I got my two little ones on October 20th by the 29th Olve dug down. Just two nights ago I came home to find Olve's old murex shell sitting empty next to the saltwater dish and all the new shells tossed around. Then last night I found him demolishing a food dish and poop and food smeared all over the other food dishes. He moved to a larger murex and got much bigger and brighter red. Here's a pic I tried to take without disturbing him. I'm so excited about his success! Yippe came up too. She doesn't appear to have molted and is still in her painted shell but she dug down again by this morning so I'll patiently wait for her.

YAY!!!!! Congratulations!!! I love Olve's beautiful colors ImageImage

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:19 pm

:banana: Woo-Hoo! So good to get that first molt "at home" over with. Love the fact that he chose another murex, not a standard choice for PPs.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks guys! I wish I could get a better pic of his colors but they're both still very shy. Olve is super bright red like a strawberry and his BP got HUGE and super dark purple. So beautiful!

Crabinski that's exactly what I was thinking! Must be a quirk of his personality lol. I'm glad I bought more. I figured since he picked murex over turbos once, he may do it again. I'm glad he's happy

Topic author
Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:47 pm

Omg guys I'm so excited! I just checked right now what needs to be cleaned before I give fresh food for tonight and I found Yippe's old Shell! She's hiding in the cave at the moment so I won't disturb her but she changed to a rather large green turbo! Maybe she did molt after all. She looks huge in that new shell lol

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Ooooo!!! Yay for Yippe!!!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:26 am

Yipee for yipee! lol But I do really love the ones that like oddball shells. <3

Topic author
Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:38 am

Me too Raw! It's such a surprise. I'm glad because murexes are beautiful shells. Not that turbos aren't! (;