Post molt question

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
aiwatkins

Post molt question

Post by aiwatkins » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:59 am

My hermit crab Shelder did not make it through his molt. He was about the size of a silver dollar and was underground for about 3 months. (This was my first molting, too). The majority of articles I've read stated that he should have come up by that point, so I went ahead and dug him up. It was clear he had molted and had even eaten the majority of his exoskeleton, but he was no where to be found. His original shell and the extra shells I had in the cage were completely empty and he was not in the sand anywhere else in his isolation cage. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened to him? I would think I would have at least found his dead body if he had died after the molt.

Thanks!

kieagcarm

Re: Post molt question

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:46 am

Look inside the shell he molted in again, I have read several posts where the crab molted but had lost all the legs and both pinchers, leaving only the "face". At first they thought the shell was empty. Maybe that happened? Or maybe he left that shell, got into a different shell and moved to a different spot without you realizing. Or maybe he came up naked and escaped the tank? Just making guesses, I would be freaking out. I'm sorry this is happening to you. You said the cage was empty, what do you have the crab in, a wire cage? How many other crabs are in the cage/tank with this crab? Maybe he was eaten?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Topic author
aiwatkins

Post by aiwatkins » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:27 pm

I checked inside all the shells in the tank. The iso tank was a small critter keeper with 6 inches of moist sand, two water dishes, a food dish, and 3 shells of varying size similar to the shell he already had. I think part of my problem is that the iso tank is too small. He was moved there by himself once he started showing pre-molting signs - he only had one other buddy in their regular 10 gallon tank. Right now, Kingler (Shelder's buddy) is thriving and doing just fine. I just wondered if it was possible for a crab to completely disappear in the middle of a molt and what could have been the issue, so the same thing does not happen to Kingler when it is his turn.

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:08 am

Is there antsy you could have gotten out or in the main tank like suggested?

Best thing i can honestly say is when i notice a crab showing pre molt signs [i call it "molty"] i make sure to offer alot of protein thats easy to eat with calcium and honey. I will mix in other fruits and veggies [specifically apples because i know they are a high fiber sugars that are considered a fortified fruit for a multiple of reasons and then oranges because they have the highest levels of vitamin c thats; good for energy and a few other things along with sugars. These are really good for a bunch of animlas, us included and even when those animlas cant eat them they need all those things. Most of their needs are a guess though. Maybe filling out the emergency template wouldbe a good idea so a more experienced member could offer insight as well?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:09 am

Ps: so sorry to hear that! Its got me so nervous because my largest is at about 3 months still molting :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Jniea6

Post by Jniea6 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 pm

Did u ever find him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wang

Post by Harry Wang » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:10 am

Jniea6 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 pm
Did u ever find him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The people want to know!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:31 am

The original poster has not been on the forum in 2 years. So they probably won't reply.
A couple of things to note for others reading this thread. HCA does not recommend isolating crabs to molt; if all conditions are proper in the tank, it is less stressful to leave them in the main tank to molt. Also, 3 months really isn't that long for a crab to be under the sub, and it wouldn't be recommended to dig for them after that short a time.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Galoxlos

Post by Galoxlos » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 am

Maybe not already