May be molting?...should I leave him alone?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
lindalee

May be molting?...should I leave him alone?

Post by lindalee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 pm

is my crab molting?

PostAuthor: lindalee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:35 am
I got my 1st crabbie almost 2 weeks ago. I got him settled into a 10 gallon aquarium and was very happy to see him walking around, getting in the salt water tub, and eating. at one point he climbed into a large shell and stayed there all day. the last 4 days he is hiding and burying a little. it doesn't look like his food has been touched. should i be concerned or is he probably molting? should he be eating during this process? he is small...maybe 1.5 inches.

10/16 do i just leave him be and hope he isn't dying?

is calcium sand ok to use?

how soon can i add another crab?

lindalee

DaJimmer

Re: May be molting?...should I leave him alone?

Post by DaJimmer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 pm

:) slooooow down.
1. Replace the calcium sand when an admin here recommends
2. Its good to just worry about keeping your crabitat dialed in at first and provide good food and water. After that try not to worry about your crab for at least 2 to 3 weeks or more! Thats because they will use all that time to hide sleep destress and unwind. Maybe even molt for a couple weeks OR MORE! You wont see or notice much of them. lots of patience especially when they are new. Make sure to read all you can.
viewforum.php?f=51
Be sure the crabitat is 75 to 85 deg f. And 80% plus humidity. Get some proper substrate and make it at least 3 to 4 times taller than your crab.
Good luck happy crabbin! :crabbigsmile:
-Jimmer

Topic author
lindalee

Post by lindalee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 am

you're saying replace the calcium sand, but not saying with what. i didn't use it yet. just asking first.

he seemed already settled in. he was walking around and bathing and eating, but now not moving from his hiding place. should i get him a friend?

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 am

Yes at least one buddy of the same species. 5 gallons of tank per crab for pp.
I hear calcium sand can harden to cement when wet.
You will need something like play sand. I found mine at depot. Mix it with coco fiber. I actually use long fibered sphagnum i found at depot as well. Play sand is nice and cheap too. Read on! Im glad you mentioned the sand. :crabbigsmile:
-Jimmer

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:35 am

Sounds like he's destressing
Probably best to leave him alone
You can also fill out the emergency template to get more advice about your set up
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 am

Please fill out the emergency template.

Substrate should be playsand and cocofiber mixed to a 5:1 ratio. Moisten with dechlorinated marine saltwater to make it sandcastle consistency. It should be a minimum of 6 inches or three times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper is what wins in height.)

Yes, your crab deserves a friend. However, make sure you have room for one. I personally recommend a minimum of 5 gallons per crab for small and medium pp crabs. Large require 10 each with a minimum of 20 gallon tank imo and Jumbos need 75 gallons.

Give your crab time to destress. Try not to fret over every little thing. Please fill out the emergency template so that we can help you further.

Btw - calcium sand tends to clump/harden like cement when it becomes wet, so it isn't any good.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
lindalee

Post by lindalee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 pm

well there was no need for worry. I turned up the heat and he became mobile again. He did bury down a few days later. I purchased a 2nd crab yesterday. He's eating right now. They have not connected that I can see. do i need to facilitate a meeting or will they find each other. my new one is a little smaller so as not to intimidate.

whoever posted that they have butterflies, How do you keep butterflies? I think I remember that they only live a very short time.