I have no idea

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

I have no idea

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Is it bad that I don't have a clue if my crabs are getting ready to molt or have even molted? I've had them for 9 months and still consider myself new, but I read on here that so many owners recognize the signs. Before and after. Especially since we lose track of who they are and don't know who's up or down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Kpeterson09

Re: I have no idea

Post by Kpeterson09 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Is it bad that I don't have a clue if my crabs are getting ready to molt or have even molted? I've had them for 9 months and still consider myself new, but I read on here that so many owners recognize the signs. Before and after. Especially since we lose track of who they are and don't know who's up or down.
I'm wondering the same thing. Mine has been buried for almost 2 months now. Came up once. I'm a worried crab momma.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Is it bad that I don't have a clue if my crabs are getting ready to molt or have even molted? I've had them for 9 months and still consider myself new, but I read on here that so many owners recognize the signs. Before and after. Especially since we lose track of who they are and don't know who's up or down.
Depends, for you would be able if you have 4 crabs, but not 19
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:04 pm

The after signs are really obvious, especially on any crabs who have gone a while and have an old exo. But no, I can never tell when my crabs are going to go down for sure until they've dissappeared for a few days!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:50 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Depends, for you would be able if you have 4 crabs, but not 19
I have 6. 2 have been buried for a couple of months.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:44 pm

I don't think it's bad at all. I mean, what difference does it really make? I mean, we don't do anything differently when they are getting ready to molt, right? I just keep all the conditions as optimal as possible, and feed from the food pyramid.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 pm

I have no idea when my crabs are molting, unless I witnessed them going down. Some of them dig down durning the day, and come back up at night :)

There’s nothing to worry about if you don’t know if a crab has molted or not, you could just look for toenails on the ends of their legs, they receive those afters molts :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't keep track - I can only tell by how messy the tanks are and how much food is gone :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 pm

I love you guys! Thank you for helping me not feel bad.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I love you guys! Thank you for helping me not feel bad.
That’s why we’re here :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!