Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Back in July when we got our crabs, I made the noob mistake of using calcium sand as the substrate. I did not mix this sand with any water.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that one of the crabs is missing and I’m guessing it’s molting. I was going to change out their substrate but am not now. Should I be concerned about a crab molting in calci sand?

User avatar

soilentgringa
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:35 pm

If the sand is dry you need to get the crab out of it. Dry sand won't hold a tunnel and the crab will suffocate.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 pm

soilentgringa wrote:If the sand is dry you need to get the crab out of it. Dry sand won't hold a tunnel and the crab will suffocate.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Thank you! I will!

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 pm

As a newbie myself I just wanted to say good luck!! That calci sand is the worst... I managed to get 90% out of my old tank...what’s left was mixed in with EE for a temporary Isolation for a last minute crab someone gave me. He soon burrowed so I’m waiting for him to resurface so I can completely redo it all.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9825
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by wodesorel » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:47 am

fandt94 wrote:As a newbie myself I just wanted to say good luck!! That calci sand is the worst... I managed to get 90% out of my old tank...what’s left was mixed in with EE for a temporary Isolation for a last minute crab someone gave me. He soon burrowed so I’m waiting for him to resurface so I can completely redo it all.
There were a lot of legacy crabbers who swore by a mix similar to yours - the EE dilutes the calci sand to where it is safe. Given the price and the consistancy, playsand is always a better choice, but what you have know was shown to be safe.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by fandt94 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:43 pm

wodesorel wrote:
fandt94 wrote:As a newbie myself I just wanted to say good luck!! That calci sand is the worst... I managed to get 90% out of my old tank...what’s left was mixed in with EE for a temporary Isolation for a last minute crab someone gave me. He soon burrowed so I’m waiting for him to resurface so I can completely redo it all.
There were a lot of legacy crabbers who swore by a mix similar to yours - the EE dilutes the calci sand to where it is safe. Given the price and the consistancy, playsand is always a better choice, but what you have know was shown to be safe.
Thank you! That makes me feel better... I can’t really even notice there is even any of the calci sand because I got most of it out...just green flecks here and there lol. I still plan on completely redoing that tank with play sand and EE since it’s mostly EE now.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:50 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice! I did a fast substrate swap today and found my one guy buried under the dry calci sand... and he was still alive! I quick gave him a bath to get the crap off of him, then put him back in his home once it was ready. I don’t see him now so I think he immediately buried himself again. Below is a pic of him after I rescued him.

Image

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 am

Remember this fella that tried to molt in the calci sand? Well, he was saved and after redoing their tat correctly returned immediately to molting. He just surfaced tonight! Here he is climbing the plant and he was def scourging for food. I’m so excited!

Image

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by fandt94 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:12 am

ApePlanet wrote:Remember this fella that tried to molt in the calci sand? Well, he was saved and after redoing their tat correctly returned immediately to molting. He just surfaced tonight! Here he is climbing the plant and he was def scourging for food. I’m so excited!

Image
Yay! Welcome back little guy! Glad all is well with him :)
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:44 am

So, now my resurfaced molter has buried himself again this morning. Is this normal behavior?

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by fandt94 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am

ApePlanet wrote:So, now my resurfaced molter has buried himself again this morning. Is this normal behavior?
The one I have that had the successful molt not long ago buries every morning for the day so that sounds normal to me...
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Molting in Calcium Sand; Should I Worry?

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:24 am

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:So, now my resurfaced molter has buried himself again this morning. Is this normal behavior?
The one I have that had the successful molt not long ago buries every morning for the day so that sounds normal to me...
That’s great to hear then. I wasn’t too concerned but curious.

Post Reply