Attacking during molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Queencrab

Attacking during molting

Post by Queencrab » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi everyone! While at work today one of my crabs started to molt. When I came home I found my larger one on top of my smaller one and I think he was trying to attack him. There are what looks like a molted claw and a few legs spread throughout the tank. I separated them for the night (still in the same tank just barricades away from each other). How long should I keep them apart and what can I do to prevent this in the future? And also what is the best substrate to have in the tank for them for molting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Attacking during molting

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:54 pm

If your crab really is molting, it will have to be isolated until it has finished molting and fully recovered, which could be months. Place a hiding cave or similar object over it to provide as much darkness as possible.

The best substrate for molting would be a 5:1 mixture of playsand and coconut fiber. It should be at least six inches deep or three times the height of your tallest crab.

A surface molt is an emergency situation. If you fill out the emergency template, we can point out possible problem areas for you.

viewtopic.php?t=46102

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk