Limm came up and he's WHOLE again!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm so excited! In early August I adopted a couple of county fair crabs that belonged to a friend of my stepson. They were in painted shells (yellow and green). Green was in good shape, but Yellow was missing two legs, a claw, and was very pale. He was a fighter, though, and went down to molt about six weeks ago. I wondered if he'd survive losing so many limbs. Well, I got home from work today and there he was!! All beautiful, and purple and WHOLE AGAIN!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

He's still in the iso tank by himself. I'm hoping he'll decide to change out of his yellow shell soon. I'd love it if he was in a natural shell when I add him to one of the big tanks.

Anywho...here are a few pics to show how far he came during a six week molt:

One left leg, no claw, 8/8/18

One right leg and claw 8/8/18

Whole again! :cheer:
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs

Hermie escape artist

Re: Limm came up and he's WHOLE again!

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:55 pm

Congrats !!!!! Same with me i was so so happy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Yay! How exciting!!! :banana: :banana: :crabbigsmile:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks!! He's having a grand old time in the iso tank. Digging, eating, bathing, exploring...everything EXCEPT get rid of the old painted yellow shell. :? I honestly didn't think he was going to survive after having lost so many limbs...I can't tell you how exciting it was to text his previous owners with the news! They were equally excited lol :D

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 am

Limm finally decided on a beautiful natural shell, only to have it stolen from him by Jeebs, a few hours after I put Limm in the 150. So...Limm is now in the 65, where he's one of the largest crabs rather than the smallest, and Medium (haven't picked a MIB name for him yet) stole the shell from Jeebs. I have several more nearly identical shells with this exact same size opening, but everyone wants this one even though they are three different size crabs. No one got hurt and everyone got back into a shell quickly once evicted, but sheesh! I have a custom shell order coming from THCP this week. So hopefully everyone can have a shell like this one....oh for the love of crabs! lolImageImage

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:58 am

Dang it! More sideways pics! Must be something about the transfer from a mac product to a chromebook....even used tapatalk this time and they're still sideways. :roll:

jstein

Post by jstein » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:16 pm

My older crabs go for the same style as well - ever see crabs in snail type shells?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:45 pm

I think it's the size and shape of the turbo type opening that appeals to PPs. I only have that species, but I understand that Es like the D shape openings. I still put some Ds in the smaller crab tank, but no one has ever picked one. :)

jstein

Post by jstein » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Showing my ignorance - I’ll have to look up a D type shell

Topic author
AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92552 is where you can find the shell guide. It was super helpful to me as I was trying to find as many shells as I could to encourage my crabbies in painted shells to swap for naturals.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:17 pm

jstein wrote:Showing my ignorance - I’ll have to look up a D type shell

They’re the snail type shells with a more oval type opening.

So good to see them come up with all their limbs back. Just proves even more how fascinating these guys really are, that they can regrow their claws and legs. He was in pretty rough shape when you took him, it must be so rewarding that you got him to go down, molt, and come back up all brand new. He looks great, happy and healthy. Image

Edit: I love your MIB theme names!

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->