Seeking advice on molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
arsavoir

Seeking advice on molt

Post by arsavoir » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Hello!

Jareth, my largest PP came up from a molt and is now missing two legs!! I don’t know which crab is the culprit, but I have a feeling it was Turbo.

Turbo is under right now but pops up every few days. Leo has been under for awhile. I previously had issues with my first molt with Turbo and Jareth but every molt since has been problem free and successful. However, now I’m concerned that Turbo will go after Leo.

I do have an ISO tank, should I take Turbo out and put him in ISO until Leo comes up or maybe put Jareth in ISO in hopes that he will molt again and regain his legs?

*The spot Leo is molting in is not a spot that can be blocked off with out moving everything in the tank.*
Jareth, Turbo, Winston, and Albert

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Seeking advice on molt

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

No, it is not necessary to separate. It is also possible that your crab had issues with molting. Are you following the food pyramid? Make sure that you give them all aspects of it. :)
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com