Underground

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
bandaidstealer

Underground

Post by bandaidstealer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Both of our boys are underground now, went down about a week apart. Now I'm curious... do I keep changing food and water every day? Never had a tank with everyone molting at the same time before.

RiNiKy506

Re: Underground

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:24 pm

I change mine every other day, I think a lot of others do too. If they’re not eating I think you’d be ok going a few days, as long as it’s not overly yucky. They pick at dead rotting stuff in the wild so it can’t be too bad. Someone with more experience than me would be able to tell you for sure though.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:35 pm

I put in dry foods only while both crabs are down, and change it out a couple times a week when it gets moldy. I also change out the water a couple of times a week.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
bandaidstealer

Post by bandaidstealer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm

They are both still underground. Definitely haven't passed away as there is no overly fishy smell. Its been awhile though, so my 4 y/o is starting to get impatient. He keeps asking me to get him another hermit crab... now I am seriously thinking about getting a 20g tank for Christmas as an upgrade so he can have more that two crabs and doesn't have to go through this again.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:43 am

bandaidstealer wrote:They are both still underground. Definitely haven't passed away as there is no overly fishy smell. Its been awhile though, so my 4 y/o is starting to get impatient. He keeps asking me to get him another hermit crab... now I am seriously thinking about getting a 20g tank for Christmas as an upgrade so he can have more that two crabs and doesn't have to go through this again.
When I had four in a 20 gallon I still had times where all four were down. Waiting is an inevitable part of crabbing that drives the best of us up the wall. :lol:
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am

bandaidstealer wrote:They are both still underground. Definitely haven't passed away as there is no overly fishy smell. Its been awhile though, so my 4 y/o is starting to get impatient. He keeps asking me to get him another hermit crab... now I am seriously thinking about getting a 20g tank for Christmas as an upgrade so he can have more that two crabs and doesn't have to go through this again.
And keep in mind they can stay buried for a couple of months or more. They could be coming out at night. For the most part they're nocturnal. I actually have cameras in my tanks so I can watch their nighttime antics.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi