Surface molt for over 2 months...

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
casscard1

Surface molt for over 2 months...

Post by casscard1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 pm

My hermit crab has been molting since late July. I isolated him (in a water bottle) around July 30. It was a surface molt-- I have since fixed the tank conditions. He's about 1.5 inches and a PP. No bad fishy smell. I can see the exoskeleton but haven't seen any movement since.

Should I be concerned? This seems to be going on for longer than a typical molt so I'm definitely getting nervous.

Thanks!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Surface molt for over 2 months...

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 pm

Your crab could take as long as four months or longer before it’s ready to move around.

I’m sure this is stressful, but try to be patient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 pm

How long has the exo been there? They normally start to eat it within 24 hours. If it's been more than a week I would pull the bottle and check. Something may have gone wrong.

Underground molts can last four months or more, but the vast majority of that time is resting before and after. The actual molt and eating of the exo takes at most two weeks in big crabs, usually just a few days in average sized crabs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Oof... Didn’t realize an empty exo was in there, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk