Did I accidentally disturb a molting crab?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
neofeathers

Did I accidentally disturb a molting crab?

Post by neofeathers » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:29 pm

My crab went underground some time ago, and I assumed he was molting. Annoyingly, he made his molting burrow under the water bowl, so if you picked up the water bowl you could see him clearly. (He has enough substrate to go deeper, he just.. didn't.) I just tried not to mess with the water bowl too much, and I didn't have to, since at the time he was the only one in the tank, and there were no other crabs to tend to.

I finally found a buddy for him yesterday though. For simplicity, old guy is crab A, new guy is crab B. I figured since he was molting, it might be fine to add a crab now, and once crab A resurfaced I'd remove crab B for a bit, and when he calmed down from molting I'd reintroduce them normally. I still washed the scent off crab B and the stuff he came with just in case.
I also rearranged the tank with the new things added, and since I got a new water bowl, I put the food bowl over the burrow instead, completely forgetting that food bowls need to be picked up often. So I took out the food bowl for a while, and I covered his burrow with a small piece of driftwood for about two hours give or take. I came back with food for crab B and forgot about the driftwood.
Just now, I noticed that crab A is out of his burrow. I guess the driftwood wasn't pressed in hard enough, or I left an opening. I scooped out the crab B, and he's in a very tiny critter keeper temporarily. I gave crab A some food, and he's been in a coconut hide since he came out I think.

Could this mean that he's done molting, or have I disturbed his molt? How long is it necessary to leave crab B in a separate enclosure? I don't have heating for another enclosure, so I'd have to get another lamp or UTH if he should be out for a couple days to a week.
★ Owner of two lovely PPs ★

Hermiesguardian

Re: Did I accidentally disturb a molting crab?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm

If he came up on his own he's probably done molting. I'm sure it's fine to put crab B back in there. Just make sure you provide calcium, protein and honey.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
neofeathers

Post by neofeathers » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Cool. I'm just gonna keep an eye on him and make sure he's good. I put some egg and eggshell in there, so that's protein and calcium done.
The big worry would be that I left it open, and he came out because he felt like it wasn't secure.
★ Owner of two lovely PPs ★

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm

What does he look like? Does his exo look hard, lots of little hairs, fresh black tips on the end of his little legs? Or is he pink and soft looking?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers