Molt question

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
fandt94

Molt question

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:24 am

I've had a crab since early August, my largest one... To my knowledge he hasn't ever been down long enough to molt yet just tonight I noticed black tips on his legs which I never noticed before. In fact before they looked very worn. Granted I didn't want to keep stressing by trying to get a better look but he clearly has better *tips*. Could he have molted short term being he is on the bigger side? He was down for a short time maybe 2 weeks and now is my only top sider. When he went missing I figured it would take much longer. Ahhhh I wish I could get a better look at him but I know for sure he has black tips and he did NOT before.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Molt question

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 am

You're thinking of a classic molt, which is what a majority of crabs will do.

They can definitely have non-classic molts where it goes super fast or super slow. Shortest molt time I've had in an average sized crab was 10 days missing, and he nearly tripled in size so there was no doubts.

We provide them a very unnatural environment - safety, plentiful food with a variety they don't normally get, and boredom because they can't and don't need to travel long distances. Because of this combo they have the chance and the ability to molt more often, and sometimes that screws a bit with their cycle.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 am

wodesorel wrote:You're thinking of a classic molt, which is what a majority of crabs will do.

They can definitely have non-classic molts where it goes super fast or super slow. Shortest molt time I've had in an average sized crab was 10 days missing, and he nearly tripled in size so there was no doubts.

We provide them a very unnatural environment - safety, plentiful food with a variety they don't normally get, and boredom because they can't and don't need to travel long distances. Because of this combo they have the chance and the ability to molt more often, and sometimes that screws a bit with their cycle.
Thank you for this information....I didn’t know this was possible so yes, I expected a classic molt. He’s usually a pretty shy guy so when he was more active and climbing I was able to get a better look at him and that’s when I noticed the tips. :wink:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

RiNiKy506

Molt question

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:27 am

I did not know they did that, very interesting. So when they have the fresh black tips, that is a sign of a non-classic molt? I need to look up more information on this.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:I did not know they did that, very interesting. So when they have the fresh black tips, that is a sign of a non-classic molt? I need to look up more information on this.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->
Any crab that molts will have the black tips and hairy legs. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Here a few shots I edited to get a closer look at the legs that were worn prior to a possible short molt...I’ll try to get updated pictures tonight. The pics were between 8/18 and 9/16

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 am

Now we are unsure if this is indeed our largest guy with an “unclassified short molt”...but...based on earlier pictures we think it is. That being said it IS the same crab topside with black tips on its legs...these were the best pics I got as I snuck a peek and found him in the moss pit...ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk