Made a mistake with molting crab

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
wrswrs2

Made a mistake with molting crab

Post by wrswrs2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:09 pm

I accidentally dug up a my crab Santiago while he was molting! He has been down over a month so when I dug him up I thought it was no big deal, but I was wrong! I found exoskeleton all over and he's been laying out of his shell for almost 24 hrs now! He did rotate sides, but he looks bad! IDk what to do - he's my favorite and I don't want him to die! I should've just reburied him. What should I do for him? I put the exoskeleton by him if that helps.

I had a fruit fly infestation and was changing out the substrate, but I thought I knew where he was. I saw him under the water dish shortly after he went down, so I thought he was still there and that it was safe to change out the rest of the substrate! I know I should've waited, but it was getting bad in there with the flies!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Made a mistake with molting crab

Post by curlysister » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Do not re-bury him. He needs to be put in isolation now, so the other crabs can not get to him. You can use a clean empty margarine container with holes punched in the top, or a 2L pop bottle cut down, and put it in the tank - that way, the temp and humidity are the same, but he is protected. He will need both dechlor fresh and marine salt water, as well as his exo and a source of protein (many people give organic natural peanut butter and honey).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Pile the exo underneath him, and pose him so he's in a normal sitting position over top. Usually after molting they are so weak they cannot move to reach their exo. Cover over with something solid to recreate a dark cave. I don't mess with other foods as they will rot and mold if left alone, and he needs to be hands off for at least a week.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Thank you for the correction, Wode! I thought that they always needed those other things in the iso with them, but it makes sense that all he needs is his exo at that stage in the molt.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
wrswrs2

Post by wrswrs2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks for the answers!
I just leave him covered for a week? I shouldn't check on him?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:47 am

Just leave him be, he will be fine and will have the ability to dig himself out when he's ready.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
wrswrs2

Post by wrswrs2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 pm

I haven’t smelled anything but I think he is dead. I looked through a small hole in thecup at him and his eyes are down and he is still hanging out of the shell and hasn’t moved. :(