Health Article On Molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabby33

Health Article On Molting

Post by crabby33 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:57 pm

The health article on molting has some pretty good information! My crab Violet just went down for her molt Friday night and this morning I could hear her shell clanking against the glass as she was tunneling around looking for the right spot to build her molting cave. She’s spent about five days doing this. This has helped me to understand why it could take weeks or even months for crabs to come up from a molt. The first week underground is spent looking for the perfect spot to build their molt caves. Then, once the crab settles down, it will rest until it’s ready to molt and it will rest again after it does its business. Again, this is why it could be weeks or months before the crab is ready to dig back up. And you don’t know exactly where the crab is under the sub until it pops up months later.

fandt94

Re: Health Article On Molting

Post by fandt94 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:08 pm

And in the meantime WE go crazy wondering lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm

I rescued Mike 2 months ago. He went down the night I brought him home. He's still down. I won't go digging, but I'm worried about him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's dead. I'll continue to wait. He was kept in a plastic hamster cage without anything in it except one shell that was too big for him. He took a salt water bath and a few bites of food and disappeared. The waiting and worrying is hard for me. All I can do is hope. How long should I wait before I go looking for him? 4 months? 6 months?
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 pm

I would wait at least 4 months, if not more. How big is Mike?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers